This position is for a Senior Application Engineer at the Cooper Power Systems’ facility in Greenwood, SC. This person is responsible for the application, design, and costing of medium and high voltage ETO capacitor equipment. Primary functions are to analyze and interpret customers’ requirements from customer supplied inquiries and specifications, and to prepare cost estimates for the required solutions.
As necessary, the Senior Application Engineer works with Systems Engineers to have digital simulations of power systems performed, and interprets the results of the system studies to determine the proper solution. The solution includes addressing the customer’s power quality and/or power flow issues, and determines the equipment ratings and parameters needed to prepare the customer’s quotations.
This position interfaces with Marketing, Sales, Purchasing, Operations, QA, and sometimes directly with the customer and vendors, in order to provide our customers with industry leading, cost effective, reactive power solutions.
Expectations are that this person has or will develop detailed design and application experience in the areas of medium and high voltage capacitor reactive compensation equipment, and all of the associated components, including: enclosures, MV/LV capacitors, fuses, switches, contactors, circuit breakers, reactors (air-core and iron-core), instrument transformers, relays, controls, control panels, etc.
· Collaborates with Marketing and Product Engineering to review specifications and to understand customer requirements.
Demonstrated Performance / Execution
- Coordinates resources and provides engineering design support for medium and high voltage capacitor reactive power compensation equipment .
- Works with Purchasing, Vendors, and Operations to estimate costs for complex reactive power compensation projects.
- Coordinates with operations group at manufacturing facilities to properly design equipment for manufacturability.
- Provides technical support to product Marketing regarding sales inquiries, customer problems, equipment application, and engineering analysis.
- Provides technical support to and maintains liaison with Purchasing, Product Engineering, Production Control, Quality Assurance, and Operations. Assists Manufacturing Engineering and Operations to achieve successful production and testing of new custom designs.
- Trains less experienced personnel on products, processes, and tools (as assigned).
- Maintains technical expertise of utility and industrial power systems’ practices and the various components used in medium and high voltage capacitor reactive power compensation equipment .
- Assists Field Sales Force in performing product application studies.
- Prepares necessary technical information to aid in the proper application of products.
- Executed engineer-to-order (ETO) projects to committed schedule for medium and high voltage equipment supplied to the electrical transmission and distribution industry.
- Demonstrated ability to design equipment for lowest cost while meeting customer requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional environment.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with customers, vendors, and the indicated departments/functions.
Technical and Functional Excellence
- Provides guidance and training to new and junior marketing, product, and application engineers on product knowledge, product applications, and subassembly design concepts.
- Mentors other engineers.
- Sets aggressive targets, accepts consequences of actions, and holds others accountable.
- Meets the expectations and requirements of all customers by making customer needs a primary focus.
- Thinks globally about the entire business and is committed to supporting the needs and goals of an integrated global organization.
- Seeks and promotes diverse perspectives, which improves decision-making and increases innovation.
- Operates with a “one company” mindset, and interacts effectively with associates above, below, and across the organization to achieve results.
- Delivers commitments, producing work of the highest quality in a timely and effective manner.
- Plans and executes work that is accurate, complete, and reliable.
- Deals respectively and fairly, yet decisively in difficult circumstances.
- Understands priorities, and balances short-term and long-term requirements.
- Communicates openly and honestly in a clear, concise, and consistent manner.
- Modifies plans to meet changed circumstances by being flexible and adaptive.
- Understands emerging trends, global shifts, consolidations, and new technology. Eager to expand expertise on a continuing basis, and looks for external best practices to leapfrog the competition.
- Builds consensus and shares credit, working cooperatively and effectively with customers, suppliers, and co-workers at all levels to achieve mutual objectives.
- Responds to real-world issues impacting the business as they arise, and acts as a catalyst and leader of strategic and cultural change.
- Deciphers data and complex issues into clear, straightforward business strategies, using logic, experience, and judgment.
- Energizes and motivates all levels of the team or project members.
- Demonstrated skills in Engineering analysis and tool capabilities (Electrical Analysis software, Statistical Analysis, etc…,)
- Demonstrated skills in the design (ETO) of medium and high voltage equipment for transmission and distribution.
- Strong product application knowledge.
- Deep understanding of industry standards and how they apply to the products.
- Significant experience in several engineering technical aspects of the products.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with an emphasis in Power Systems, or equivalent based on experience.
- 5+ years of related design and application experience with medium and high voltage equipment for electric utilities and industrial customers. Experience in reactive power compensation is preferred.
- Able and willing to travel globally.
- Working knowledge medium and high voltage transmission and distribution systems.
- Quality-minded, thorough, and detail-oriented.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
About Eaton's Cooper Power Systems Location(s)
Our Greenwood, South Carolina facility designs and manufactures Power Capacitors for worldwide utility and Industrial applications.
Greenwood is located in the Lower Piedmont region of Upstate South Carolina. Greenwood provides a friendly, small-town setting along with the progressive and active environment of a larger city. Greenwood is the home to numerous community assets including Lake Greenwood , Lander University , Piedmont Technical College , Self Regional Healthcare , Connie Maxwell Children's Home , Wesley Commons Retirement Community , Greenwood Mall , Uptown Greenwood , excellent schools, churches, cultural opportunities, and much more. Learn more here .
Eaton's Cooper Power Systems endeavors to make our career site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact our Division Talent Management Representative at (262)-896-2487. Eaton's Cooper Power Systems, LLC is an EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V
Cooper Industries - 8 months ago