Fortigent is dynamic Rockville, Maryland-based financial services firm offering specialized investment management, portfolio advisory and performance measurement services to our high net-worth individuals and advisor clients. We are embarking on a new era in the history of the company and are poised for dramatic business growth. With approximately $50 billion in assets under advisement, Fortigent offers money manager research and performance reporting services to banks, trust companies and registered investment advisors. The firm also sponsors Access Overlay™, a Unified Managed Account program, and Access Alts™, an alternative investment access program.
The business analyst is responsible for formulating and defining software applications’ scope and objectives based on both user needs and a good understanding of the business, applications, operational and/or industry requirements. This includes developing business requirements and transforming them into functional specifications for the development team, as well as taking on some new product management initiatives. The BA works with internal/external business groups on process improvement projects and is also involved in testing and training of applications and/or systems. The BA is involved in and identifies and integrates applicable methodologies and techniques into the overall Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
Other Job Duties:
- Identify and document high-level business and user requirements by various elicitation techniques (interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, JAD sessions, storyboards, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, event lists, business analysis, competitive product analysis, task and workflow analysis, and/or viewpoints) with internal/external customers. Decompose these requirements into functional requirements that can then be used and understood by those who must base their work upon them.
- Analysis and modeling of current business processes/systems. GAP analysis of current systems to proposed systems. Create process related documentation to document current, future, and proposed functionality
- Enhance customer satisfaction of applications by delivering quality products iteratively & incrementally, and keeping the internal customer and other analysts involved and informed throughout the process; working directly with individual users, developing and explaining application functions, processes, and recommended procedures for avoiding software discrepancies (work-arounds); transferring, translating, formatting, integrating, and converting data for customers; and conducting training.
- Work with product owners on prioritization
- Increase personal knowledge and understanding of the technical and functional aspects of supported applications and processes by reviewing, creating, and maintaining documentation; performing related tasks; and interacting with peers and internal/external customers.
- Document specifications for engineering and users in the form use cases, user stories and outcome tests in order to support customer requirements and recommended solutions; identifying discrepancies between customer requirements and system specifications; clarifying intent of requirements with customers and specifications with developers; and facilitating agreement on final requirements and specifications.
- Ensure applications are usable and maintainable by gathering and compiling technical information necessary for sustaining, maintaining and using applications such as system flows, processes, data relationships, interfaces, functionality, and operational requirements; interfacing with developers, consultants and internal/external customers and applying technical knowledge and experience.
- Establish and implement effective agile software development related requirements practices, including use and continuous improvement of the requirements process. Assist with the development of the organization’s change management policies, procedures and tools.
- Understanding of financial instruments, terms and conditions, pricing and risk analysis across multiple asset classes (fixed income, equity, hedge funds, derivatives…), asset allocation, portfolio management and rebalancing, and performance measurement.
- Extensive experience with specific methods, tools, and techniques for clearly defining and documenting client needs and associated requirements (Elicitation Techniques, UML, textual and graphical Use Cases, User Stories, JAD, etc.)
- Experience in writing requirements, functional specifications, scope documents, and workflow write-ups/diagrams.
- Knowledge of business process modeling methodologies and software development methodologies
- Experience in hands-on user interface design is essential.
- Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills. The candidate must be able to communicate effectively with both business users and software developers.
- Knowledge of product management concepts and how enterprise software products are positioned and developed. (Classic product management skills (competitive analysis, requirement gathering, product definition, pricing, positioning, lifecycle management))
- Experience in developing training materials and conducting hands-on training.
- Experience with SQL and .Net architecture.
- Prior experience with a structured development environment and methodologies is a plus.
- Practical experience with portfolio accounting systems such as Advent’s Axys or Schwab’s PortfolioCenter is desirable
- Bachelor’s Degree required, (BBA in preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years experience (preferably in Financial Services/Investment Industry) analyzing business systems and managing requirements.
- CIPM certification is a plus
- Hands on SQL experience
- Basic understanding of .Net
- Experience working with rapid application development (RAD) methodologies
- Possible career path for this position: (e.g. senior, supervisor, etc.)
LPL Financial Services - 15 months ago