Description – Overview
1. Perform an overview of CPT 4 and ICD 9 codes sent through the coding department, and make appropriate changes to ensure department coding rules and insurance payor regulations are followed.
2. Demonstrate good decision-making skills in making revisions to charge documents.
3. Assign appropriate modifiers, and follow the Correct Coding Initiative guidelines, as indicated through the Limited Coverage Diagnosis (LCD), as well as the National Correct Coding Initiative (CCI).
4. Communicate effectively, and demonstrate good interpersonal and professional skills when interacting with others throughout M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
5. Review of denial reports for any coding denials.
6. Review of request made by PBS staff or management.
7. Assist PBS staff with appeals that need coding review.
8. Required to stay abreast of all Medicare and/or Medicaid Bulletins & Provider Updates on an ongoing basis.
9. Responsible for notifying management immediately of all rejections and/or problems causing a delay in payments or resolutions of claims. Responsible for notifying Management of any coding edits or claim corrections needed to expedite payment.
10. Document clear, concise and complete notes in system for each account worked. Assure accounts are worked at a high level of quality and completeness by visually proofreading and monitoring work output. This includes performing system analyzation.
11. Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred:One of the following:
- Certified Professional Coding (CPC) by the American Academy of Professional Coders
- Certified Coding Specialist-Physician Based (CCS-P) by the American Health Information Management Association
Four years evaluation and management coding experience -OR- two years of OR/surgical coding/specialty coding experience.
Advanced experience with Excel.
Experience in working denials related to coding and understanding of revenue cycle.
MD Anderson Cancer Center - 10 months ago
The mission of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world...