Life-changers work here
CareFusion Life-changers find innovative ways to improve our customers' ability to provide healthcare to their patients. One way is our search for bold and inspired employees across the globe. Are you ready to change lives? Join our 15,000 employees to help clinicians solve some of healthcare's most critical challenges.
Meet one of our Life-changers. http://www.youtube.com/carefusion
Job Title: Sr Engr, R & D
Job Family Group (Function): Engineering
Job Family: R & D Engineering
CareFusion Business Description
We help our customers measurably improve patient care by focusing on two of the biggest issues affecting healthcare, medication errors and hospital-acquired infections.
Our family of products and services are used in over 120 countries and include some of the most widely recognized brand names in their categories: Pyxis® for medication and supply management, Alaris for infusion, MaxPlus Clear® for needle-free IV access, AVEA® and Pulmonetic Systems™ for ventilation, Jaeger®, SensorMedics® and Micro Medical for respiratory diagnostic instruments, AVAmax® and PleurX® for interventional procedures, V. Mueller® and Snowden-Pencer® for surgical instruments, Nicolet neurodiagnostic instruments, MedMined™ for infection surveillance and ChloraPrep® for preoperative skin preparation.
Job Family Summary
Research and Development Engineering is responsible for developing and implementing new products through adherence to established design control processes and good engineering and documentation practices.
What is expected of you for success in your role?
- Interact with NPD teams to ensure suppliers are involved in development and review of specifications to promote design for manufacturability.
- Lead supplier integration activities in support of cross-functional new product development programs focusing on coordinating supplier input during the development period, prototype buying, and sourcing decisions.
- Partner with suppliers and Advanced Operations to ensure the latest technological innovations are available to be incorporated into our product and process designs.
- Participate in Process Design Reviews when necessary.
- Assist in due diligence for new technology, license or acquisition opportunities
- Lead price negotiations and develop terms of manufacturing agreement to secure the best piece part/assembly cost, quality, and lead times while establishing strategic relationship with suppliers
- Negotiate Contracts for Design, Development and Production
- Partner with Advanced Operations to support R&D and Marketing team goals by providing innovative solutions, attaining project timeline milestones, and executing flawless new product launch at suppliers.
- Manage all aspects of schedule, capacity and supply plans to meet program requirements while mitigating risks with "what if" scenario planning
- Perform lead time analysis on all components in the new product bill of material to identify single source and long lead time components
- Leverage in depth understanding of all protoyping and production manufacturing processes to make optimal recommendations to support cost, quality and delivery goals
- Support Operations build plan goals through assurance of supply after new product launch by performing capability analysis of suppliers prior to making sourcing decisions.
- Develop and implement Sourcing Plan to document and manage all sourcing activity during the development process
- Build trusting relationships with suppliers to facilitate partnerships and knowledge sharing.
- Build trusting relationships within CareFusion to support effective decision making.
- Develop cost models to inform the Make vs. Buy process and sourcing decisions.
- Partner with Advanced Operations in the Make vs Buy process and ensure for 'buy' decisions that the optimal manufacturing process at our strategic supply base and location is selected to provide the highest quality at optimum cost.
- Leverage LCC supplier capability in make/buy decisions to maximize product gross margins at launch and throughout Product Life Cycle.
- Support Strategic Sourcing goals by providing input on manufacturing systems, production controls, validation systems, capacity, and manufacturing cost at suppliers.
- Understand technical and business risk implications and articulate a strategy to ensure time to market at most competitive pricing while ensuring quality and continuity of supply
- Develop Detailed RFQ templates for diverse categories of spend to ensure product requirements are accurately communicated and responses are complete and consistent among the bidders
- Work with New Product Development (NPD) teams to ensure the integrity and clarity of engineering drawing requirements and that all expectations are communicated effectively to supporting suppliers.
- Identify, select, manage suppliers during NPI and mass production stage while negotiating cost and supply and developing suppliers to meet future product requirements
- Partner with Advanced Operations groups within R&D to ensure the best in class suppliers are considered and chosen during the new technology development process.
- Develop and drive a Supplier Selection Process to develop a supply base that provides competitive advantage in quality, value/cost, delivery and technology
- Investigate, analyze and evaluate new suppliers needed to meet New Technology and Product Pipeline requirements when core competency does not exist internally or as part of global strategic supply base
- Become supplier capability subject matter exert to support new technology and new product development pipeline.
- Initiate, develop, and implement sourcing process improvements
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering required
- Master's Degree in Engineering or MBA preferred
- 2 years experience in an engineering discipline, program management, supplier development, process development or related field.
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills with the ability to clearly present recommendations and ideas, summarize complex issues, and overcome language and cultural barriers.
- Ability to understand and interpret complicated design prints and GD&T
- Experience in negotiations with suppliers and in financial analysis desired.
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner
- Highly organized self-starter
- Highly motivated, quality-focused, result-oriented, and dedicated
- Proven ability to drive cost, quality, availability, innovation, and manufacturability
- Thrive in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to effectively prioritize projects within schedule, budget, and quality guidelines
- Proficient in delivering tactical and strategic solutions for direct/alternate sourcing
- Poised and competent with demonstrated ability to manage complex supplier negotiatons and supplier performance
- Strong analytical skills with ability to solve complex problems and use good judgment
- Technical detail-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly regulated environment
- Knowledge of FDA QSR requirements
- Knowledge of ISO and other recognized international quality system standards
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time, both domestically and internationally, as required to support supplier search, assessment and support activity
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement multiple concurrent tasks.
- Strong Project Management capabilities.
- Previous experience in a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Experience participating in cross-functional product development teams.
- Must be able to generate, follow and explain detailed quality requirements and inspection procedures.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of SharePoint
- Experience with computer-based project management tools (MS Project)
CareFusion Corporation - 20 months ago