The Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for the Planning, Design and Optimization and support of a next generation IP network. You will collaborate with other team members to define, document and enforce network standards. The candidate will be involved and engaged with direct vendor interaction in pursuit of high availability and stability metrics. Candidate will portray leadership and professional qualities and occasionally interact with several levels of audiences.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
• Identifying network design flaws while creating alterations to address these issues
• Lead in planning and delivery of network design solutions in a timely manner
• Provide 3rd tier escalation support for complex network problems and customer issues, including on-call support
• Development of Vendor and Product RFIs with strong emphasis of lab testing experience to validate those RFIs
Required Knowledge, skills and abilities include, but are not limited to:
• Designing and implementing complex networks consisting of IP, Frame Relay, ATM and Ethernet technologies (EoMPLS like VPLS) with the standard suite of routing protocols(OSPF, BGP and ISIS)
• Designing and implementing BGP policies for multiple ISP transit and peering partners
• Advanced DSL Aggregation experience in a carrier class environment is a major plus
• Broadband VPN
• Experience of networking management tools, Wireshark/TCPdump, Linux, Splat
• Firewall/security experience (access control list (ACL) management, secure remote management practices, IDS, etc
• Detailed understanding of routing redistribution, route maps, policy routing and traffic engineering
• Strong working knowledge in access technologies such as LDAP, RADIUS, TACACS
• Advanced knowledge of MPLS, Multicast (mVPN), RSVP, other traffic engineering tunnels and IP QoS design and deployment in an IP and ATM environment.
• Good understanding of IPv6 and deployment practices of IPv6. Experience in migrating IPv4 networks to IPv6 is a plus.
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities include, but are not limited to:
• Experience with Cisco, Juniper, Redback and Alcatel-Lucent IP routing/switching gear is major plus
• Multi-vendor VPN and MPLS network design
Education and Experience Requirements
• CCIE, BS in related Engineering field or equivalent experience.
• Successful candidate will have at least 10 years of design experience in large scale carrier or service provider environments.
• Proven strong innovative and analytical ability with extensive implementation experience
• Must be a team player and have excellent written and oral communication skills
• Must have strong organizational skills
• Must be fully competent to work under general direction on complex projects usually on specific assigned projects, issues and problems. Several projects will usually be active at the same time, so the ability to multitask is essential to success for this position
EarthLink Inc. - 16 months ago
Some of us spend way too much time online, and EarthLink is OK with that. The company provides Internet connections to more than 1 million...