Experience & Skill Set
- Contribute to the architecture, design, and development of Greenplum’s next generation catalog architecture for Greenplum’s massive parallel RDBMS as well as Pivotal Hadoop.
- Deliver robust, fault tolerant, high quality, production code - this is a hands-on coding position.
- Interact with members of the Greenplum team to solidify the overall Greenplum data platform vision.
The ideal candidate will have recent, demonstrated experience delivering robust, reliable Linux systems software in mission critical enterprise environments.
Deep, meaningful, recent development experience with most of the following is required:
- A thorough understanding of metadata driven technologies
- Familiarity with locking and synchronization primitives
- Development experience with data management for RDBMS and non-RDBMS databases
- Linux systems code development in C/C++
- Extensive experience with a scripting language such as Python or Perl
- Products deployed in mission critical, enterprise environments
Optional, but highly desirable skill sets:
- Extremely large scale application development – distributed systems with hundreds or thousands of nodes
- Domain knowledge or development experience with Hadoop, specifically HBase and HDFS
Ideal Personal Characteristics
- Technology Savvy & Generalist - The ability to come up to speed quickly on new software technologies in complex, non-deterministic systems environment. Unafraid to delve into unfamiliar parts of the system to gain deeper insights and solve business problems.
- Personal Integrity & Initiative – A passionate individual with sound judgment who is sensitive to the needs of a small and rapidly growing division of a large company. Key attributes are intelligence, loyalty, honesty, customer focus and being a team player. A self-starter with high motivation to ‘get the job done’.
- Hands-on Orientation – This is a ‘hands on’ development position. Be prepared to be involved in all aspects of software development. Will ‘roll-up-the-sleeves’ and get things done without the assistance of a large supporting organization.
- Excellent Problem Solving Skills – Ability to crack tough technical problems quickly when a solution is not immediately obvious. A combination of mental flexibility, creativity, analytical ability and sound judgment, which is required to develop and execute against seemingly intractable technical problems.
This position requires a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering. Advanced degrees preferred.
Greenplum, a division of EMC, is driving the future of Big Data analytics with breakthrough products that harness the skills of data science teams to help global organizations realize the full promise of business agility and become data-driven, predictive enterprises. The division's products include Greenplum Unified Analytics Platform, Greenplum Data Computing Appliance, Greenplum Analytics Lab, Greenplum Database, Greenplum HD and Greenplum Chorus.