Sr. Software Engineer
As an integral member of the Data Technologies team, you will be identifying new ways to improve and enhance the value of our data by improving its freshness, accuracy, breadth, and depth.
The role involves building a highly-scalable and extensible big data platform that provides the foundation for collecting, storing, modeling, and analyzing massive data sets from multiple sources.
This includes developing, testing and implementing schemas and applications for the management of extremely large scale datasets utilizing leading edge technologies. He/she will be working within a team of highly motivated and talented engineers solving very complex problems that affect both functionality of existing software and delivery of new features to production.
- Document user stories and break them into specific detailed technical tasks
- Design, develop and test new/changed components of the data platform leveraging commercial software and open source to interface big data with relational solutions
- Own full life cycle development for a component of the system
- Develop systems that meet high standards of data integrity and availability
- Develop test plans and test cases for applications
- Leverage agile / lean software development methodologies
- Utilize test or behavior driven development and test automation
- Create/maintain appropriate design and testing artifacts and documentation
- Participate and provide feedback in design and code review sessions
- Identify areas of design / implementation risk and implement successful mitigation strategies.
- Provide mentoring and leadership to junior team members
- Research and experiment with emerging technologies related to big data
- Coordinate development and testing activities with offshore development team
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar field
Experience: 4-6 years professional large scale software development experience
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- 3+ years professional large scale software development experience using Java and Java based frameworks
- 3+ years advanced SQL programming skills including schema optimization and query tuning (Vertica preferred)
- 1+ year hands-on experience with Hadoop product ecosystem
- Proven track record implementing large scale distributed solutions leveraging open source components
- Proficient at working in a Linux/Unix environment
- Proficient with scripting language such as Shell, Ruby, or Python
- Proficient with Source Version Control systems such as Git or SVN
- Proficient with REST, JSON and other web service concepts
- Experience in data warehousing and business intelligence (100+ TB scale)
- Experience using agile/lean methodologies and tools
- Experience with test driven development and test automation
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver on project milestones and deadlines
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch
- Ability to self-organize and work independently and effectively
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility with regard to project assignments
- Knowledge of other programming languages, e.g. C, C++, Python is a plus.
- Knowledge of continuous delivery and test or behavior driven development
- Experience creating, managing and administering Hadoop/NoSQL systems
- Background in statistical analysis and modeling.
About AOL: At AOL we’re focused on radically redefining the world of online communications. We are transforming how people around the globe connect with information, entertainment and one another by bringing together award winning journalists and innovative technologies to create rich and engaging consumer experiences. We look for people who are exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly excited about our mission - to inform, entertain and connect the world.
- Professional experience with real-time systems, data mining, machine learning, and collaborative filtering algorithms.
- Experience with data visualization software.
AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
AOL - 12 months ago