Technical expert in one or more highly specialized phases of Unix Administration, architecture and capacity planning. Responsible for daily technical support of all the Unix mid-range systems. Works with the application development team, the infrastructure team, business units and the software vendors to develop and ensure a viable and consistent capacity and recovery solution. |
· Design and support Unix infrastructure.
· Help establish, publish and monitor standards for configuring servers on different Unix platforms.
· Help establish, publish and monitor adherence to security standards for access to the Servers.
· Day to day production support including checking daily logs, backup/recovery procedures, disaster recovery, periodic maintenance and off-hours problem support.
· Implementation of monitoring tools. Use tools to monitor systems.
· Design, write or re-engineer UNIX scripts to enhance functionality of system.
· Automate system processes.
· Identify, evaluate and recommend the purchase of software, hardware or services that can be used to improve the performance of this group.
· Supervise Hardware installs and Perform O/S upgrades.
· Participate in the Annual Disaster Recovery test.
· Capacity Planning on all Unix Systems.
· Provide Capacity Planning and Security Administration reports.
· Work closely with other departments in the definition, implementation and deployment of new initiatives.
· Expert-level knowledge in UNIX system administration (HPUX, AIX, SUN)
· Expert-level knowledge in Backup design and support. (TSM and Tape Library)
· Expert-level knowledge of application servers/middleware products and network concepts.
· Expert-level knowledge of scripting. (shell, PERL)
· Ability to define and implement solutions with minimal guidance and work independently on large projects.
· Excellent communication and documentation skills.
· Excellent time management skills for handling multiple projects.
· Excellent organizational and follow-up skills.
· Minimum of six (6) years’ experience in designing/supporting Unix Platforms
· Minimum of two (2) years’ experience with DataBase architecture, ie Oracle/Sybase/Sequel.
Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience.
Minimum Education Level
Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
CBS Corporation - 2 years ago