This position is responsible for independently providing user requirements and usability evaluations for the company's products.
- Plan and conduct high quality full-life cycle usability engineering programs for a specific product/line including user requirements gathering and validation and design evaluation
- Coordinate and track implementation of recommendations among designers and developers
- Independently carry out all aspects of usability research, including planning, justification, recruitment, logistics, conducting evaluations, analyzing results, documenting issues, and proposing and prioritizing recommendations
- Coordinate with product teams to gather requirements and to ensure UI standards are understood and followed
- Deliver UI recommendations in the form of documentation, page designs, story-boards, or a moderate level of prototyping.
- Champion UCD principles to developers and product managers
- Co-author portions of UI Standards
Typical Role Definition
Professional Staff. A senior level professional role. Evaluation, originality or ingenuity required. Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a particular field. Has mastered the key responsibilities. Assignments can be broad in nature. May serve as a resource to others to resolve complex problems and issues. Instructions generally provided in general terms. May take on project lead role as required.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Produce designs and specifications and carry out product specific review processes
- Plan and perform usability research and deliver results and recommendations
- Mentor other Usability Engineers
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically does not manage a budget.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 10 or less percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Master's Degree or global equivalent in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, or related HCI discipline is preferred.
Typically 5 or more years of experience conducting usability studies.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven ability to plan and conduct usability tests, cognitive walkthroughs, heuristics evaluations, surveys, interviews, competitive analysis, card sorts, task and needs analysis, user profiling, and other usability methodologies and have a significant impact on product designs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of advanced HCI principles.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping.
- Advanced knowledge of UI prototyping and graphics tools.
- Comprehensive knowledge and practical application of all core topics of the human factors engineering profession (displays, human information processing, systems engineering) and/or HCI. Comprehensive knowledge and practical application of laboratory and field study techniques for usability research, experimental design and statistics.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication, presentation, project management, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to build cooperative relationships with product teams.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Personal, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program.
At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
CA Technologies and all of its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate's race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: CA Technologies does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any CA Technologies employee. CA Technologies will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of CA Technologies and will be processed accordingly.
This position can be based in the following locations:
US, MA, Framingham , 121A
CA Technologies - 4 months ago
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business...