This is a high-visibility position requiring an individual with vision, passion and the presence to work with customers and a wide variety of internal stakeholders. The successful candidate will have a “can-do” attitude and be able to succeed in a fast-growing, high-energy company; possess excellent analytical skills; and have demonstrated successful experience developing and launching print and online learning products to meet educational impact, customer satisfaction, and competency development goals.
Primarily responsible for a discipline/product cluster P&L and leads a discipline-aligned print and digital p roduct development team to meet or exceed acquisition targets; development standards; and production requirements; and drive sales and marketing strategies for team’s first edition and revised products and services in order to exceed annual sales and profit goals while achieving quality and budget requirements. Investigates and executes expansion into potential into new course areas, alternative markets, and new product models. Oversees and actively manages a discipline/product cluster to achieve or exceed strategic goals (market share, top-line growth and profit targets). Coordinates with authors, production, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and sales staff to ensure successful publication and presentation of product line to the market place.
*Initiate regular financial analyses of individual product and list plans including annual business portfolio approval cycles, twice-yearly product status meetings, and annual portfolio optimization/publishing strategy meeting. Suggests and monitors management-confirmed production budgets and schedules. Serves as visionary, project leader, and advocate for the discipline/product cluster within the company and for customers.
*Partner closely with marketing and sales teams to seed and secure adoptions through reviewing, focus groups, advisory boards, campus/convention travel, etc. Responsible for overall strategic vision and plan for each title and for the discipline/product cluster list as a whole in order to achieve or exceed strategic goals for market share, top-line, and profit growth. Requires a minimum level of supervision to accomplish goals.
*Responsible for acquiring new product/author talent for the Company. Anticipates discipline and industry trends, with a focus on evolution to global hybrid and digital learning solutions grounded in a market knowledge gained through campus travel and market research. Researches and maintains an author/subject matter expert talent tracking system that yields results.
*Manage the product lifecycle of online products by developing strategy for product direction, and leading cross-functional teams to define, develop, and launch online courseware products.
*Conduct customer research and maintain a deep understanding of customer needs and industry trends to ensure product line is competitive and meets market needs.
*Initiate, advocates, and negotiates profitable products and services for new or strategically expanded course offerings, alternative markets and channels, strategic partnerships, all in response to new teaching/learning and business models. Concludes publishing arrangements that are both equitable and profitable for the publisher and author and that add measurable value to the publisher’s global offerings.
*Lead a discipline/product team that works collaboratively with each other and publishing partners in other functional areas to meet product, list, and company market share, top-line, and profitability growth objectives.
*Ensure that the discipline/product team implements and provides constructive feedback to improve company best practices standards and procedures that ensure quality development, cost-effective and on-schedule production/manufacturing, and competitive marketing and sales programs. Recruits, develops, retains, and promotes top editorial talent.
* Oversees and actively manages the development of first editions and key revisions and associated supplement packages to achieve company quality and strategic goals (market share, top-line, and profitability growth). Works closely with the director of development, editorial management, development and media editors, assistant editors, editorial assistants, and other functional areas (production, marketing, manufacturing, etc.) to implement and continuously improve development of best practices.
* Ensures formal plan checks for first edition and “break-out” products to occur on schedule and are productive. Applies informal plan checks to all products under development, with a focus on growing revisions’ market shares. Responsible for ensuring that innovative, competitive, and high quality products and services are delivered to the market place on schedule and according to budget.
* Responsible for ensuring production, manufacturing, marketing, and sales process meet project plans and are executed on time and on budget. Exerts influence to ensure strategic vision for individual products and overall discipline is properly implemented. Works closely with colleagues in other functional areas (GPMS, marketing, sales, distribution, etc.) to convey the strategic vision for the discipline/product cluster, provide feedback when activity does not support the strategic vision, and to assist meeting goals. Ensures that manuscript transmissions are complete, accurate, and on schedule. Participates as appropriate in the production and marketing processes.
* Makes presentations at company sales meetings, campus visits, and academic conventions in support of sales efforts and to drive sales. Consults with colleagues in manufacturing, inventory, and distribution to assist in reaching customer service goals.
*Assists in training and mentoring Sponsoring and Sponsoring Acquiring Editors.
*May manage and develop Sponsoring and/or Acquiring Sponsoring Editors.
*At least two years of successful experience as a college sales representative
*At least five years in-house editorial experience with a demonstrated track record in managing, developing and publishing successful products.
*Will consider candidates with no sales experience that have five years of in-house editorial experience managing key products/franchises and with a demonstrated track record in developing and publishing successful products.
*Exceptional acquiring track record combined with successful publication of AAA titles.
* Proven track record of results, excellent author recruiting and training skills required.
*Demonstrate strong leadership, creative, planning, and problem-solving skills.
*Superior written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to manage successfully across boundaries.
*Must be able to develop and manage a large number of projects simultaneously, on schedule, within budget and with moderate supervision.
*Must work well in teams
*Ability to travel a minimum of 4 weeks intermittently on campus during both the spring and fall, and attendance at various conferences and sales meetings.
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Cengage Learning - 10 months ago
Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library...