About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region
For more information, visit
The Senior Analyst - Accounting Systems at Nicor National is responsible for supporting various disciplines in the execution of their system processes. Understanding the flow of the system transactions and reports and their relationship to the general ledger is critical. Preparation of month-end close activities, developing and maintaining reports, analyzing critical data and contributing in the system development life cycle for new initiatives are key to this role.
- Develop and maintain multiple reports/analyses to compile critical data from multiple sources to support A/R functions & other functions
- Identify and research significant trends relating to various revenue channels
- Actively participate in evaluation of system requirements/impacts of new initiatives.
- Understanding the accuracy of information that is available and utilizing the most accurate/relevant data available to complete the financial close
- Responsibilities in analyzing data to determine further areas of focus; decisions about reasonableness and accuracy are involved in this analysis
- Working with Business Units to understand, communicate, and quantify financial impacts
- Collaborates and builds effective relationships with stakeholders to form successful partnerships across the enterprise
- Displays excellent customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a positive, respectful manner and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills to understand core business drivers
- Thorough understanding of assigned goals and objectives.
- Adherence to timelines and deliverables, monitoring self-performance to ensure achievement of results.
- Analyzes information, problems, and issues to recommend effective solutions
- Self-starter with strong work ethic, passion for learning, and a desire to accomplish tasks with excellence
- BA/BS Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance, or equivalent
- Information systems academic training and/or significant experience
Related Work Experience:
- Certified Public Accountant
- 4+ years progressive experience in an accounting and systems role
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience in the following:
- Accounting systems support
- Data analysis
- Report creation/generation and maintenance
- Effective summarization and presentation of decision-related data to management
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of ERP system such as Oracle or Peoplesoft, and business intelligence tools such as Hyperion or Cognos
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Must be experienced enough to work independently (with minimum supervision)
- Strong accounting, analytical and systems skills
- Multi-task and have a collaborative work style with strong desire to work in dynamic, fast paced environment that requires flexibility and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Exhibit a positive attitude and behavior with regards to assigned tasks, co-workers and team members
- Adapts to changes in work environment dealing with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events in a manner that sets an example for others
- Superior customer service orientation.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Proactive enough to use prior work experience and/or internal/external departmental contacts to assist with data analysis, trouble shooting, and recommendation of solutions
- Must have confidence to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Well organized with strong attention to detail; effective written and verbal communication
- 5% to 10% travel. The incumbent may be required to travel.
Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job.
The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
- The incumbent works in an office environment.
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 18 months ago
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...