Sr. Business Manager-24676
Xcel Energy has an opportunity for Business Manager to support corporate applications at our Downtown Minneapolis location.
This Business Manager's role is to supervise and ensure the efficient operation of the company's information technology network, client servers, databases, and equipment. This includes managing the IT staff responsible for monitoring and diagnosing network and hardware problems, managing the processes related to release, & change to the production environment, preventing issues from reoccurring through disciplined incident & problem management processes, assessing business impact and communicating quickly and efficiently in a manner which is understood by non technical personnel, and continually increase the proactive capabilities of the I/T operations.
' Manager will also work closely with the IT executive staff and decision makers in other departments in order to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. This position does require a rotational on-call duty for management of severity 1 and 2 outages.
The Senior Business Manager role requires strong competencies of Infrastructure technologies associated with a regulated electric & gas utility company.
Strong candidates will have a background in: desktop computing, server computing, network, radio, Microwave, SCADA Systems, Virtualization, mainframe, storage area networking, Systems Management Software, & Client Server Computing.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
Responsible for managing a team of business analysts that support corporate level applications spanning the enterprise. Defines and manages annual budget, variance reporting and forecasting. Manages demand by collaborating with customers, staff, vendors and other stakeholders to identify customer requirements, assess impact to other data systems, consider available alternatives, compare costs and recommend solutions. Acts as a resource to mentor and coach other team members. Executes duties of position with minimal supervisory oversight.
- Assists Business Systems leadership in defining, refining and applying portfolio prioritization criteria. Manages demand including prioritization, release management, and requirements definition. Develop and approve functional specifications. Identifies requirements, manages scope, and coordinates for justifiable solutions. Develops budget and manage budget performance, create forecast and variance reports for assigned area. Controls spend for Corporate Application operating and project activities. Responsible for variance reporting and accurate forecasting.
- Develops and executes an I/T plan for assigned BU with little or no guidance from manager and peers; assists peers in developing and executing effective I/T plans. Manages activities relative to the Business Unit I/T Plan including application portfolio management, data security, and determination of the business requirements for disaster recovery, availability and fail-over capability of systems. Stays abreast of operational performance and impact to business. Serves as key respondent and facilitator for internal and external application audits.
- Develops and manages a team of business analysts providing guidance, leadership and mentoring. Develops resourcing strategies to ensure optimum support for projects as well as for the day-to-day operational activities. Conducts performance reviews, provides input to pay decisions and implements positive discipline measures when necessary.
- Initiates and maintains key relationships with customers to ensure processes are integrated to support customer expectations. Communicates effectively with business peers, IT peers and vendors to solve business/technical problems and provide technical solutions. Drives resolution of key customer concerns quickly and effectively.
- Anticipates and provides direction to respond to organizational and regulatory initiatives and directives. Must understand and implement necessary procedures required to facilitate completion of operational changes.
- Stays abreast of industry and technology trends to provide advice on when to innovate and when to use traditional approaches.
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline (6 years experience in related field may substitute for the degree)
- 10 years of application support experience demonstrating a high level of responsibility supporting corporate applications
- Experience supporting large customer groups, managing highly visible large scale projects, and taking leadership roles in critical/crucial situations
Primary Location: MN-Minneapolis
Other Locations: MN-Minneapolis
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...