Xcel Energy is seeking a qualified candidate for a current opportunity within the Supply Chain area. We have an opening for a Senior Buyer who will focus on the Energy Supply Business Unit. In this role, the candidate will be responsible for helping support 39 plants spread across MN and WI and will be primarily assigned to the contracting function for those plants. The position does require some after-hours, weekend and emergency support (24 x 7 coverage). The successful candidate will have a work location at the Sherco Plant in Becker, MN.
Manages and executes more operationally advanced procurement activities including advising on contract risk issues for business unit customers and executing the more technically complicated procurement activities. Develops and implements local, regional and system-wide procurement strategies to achieve cost, schedule and quality goals. Responsible for achieving inventory management, supplier management, and process improvement objectives. Mentors Associate Buyers and Buyers.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
- REQUISITIONS - Analyzes materials and services requisitions, explores whether fulfillment of purchase requests for high-dollar, more technically advanced, and/or high-risk material and services is needed through Sourcing department, and if not, processes purchase requisitions for materials or services utilizing established procedures on Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- BIDDING/AWARD PROCESS - Manages development and issuance of RFQ/RFI/RFP bid packages for complex category buys (up to $5M) and larger projects (up to $1M), and leads bid evaluation, analysis, and supplier selection processes. Identifies opportunities in partnership with the category manager and develops master services agreements with key operational suppliers in alignment with the category strategy. Conducts analysis of and interprets statistical data.
- CONTRACTING -Partners with field location management in all aspects of contract create, review, analysis, administration, supplier compliance and performance tracking. Represents company's interests with suppliers/contractors managing risk during terms and conditions negotiations. Advises business in problem solving, resolves issues and escalates as appropriate up through the Category Manager. Provides written opinions and oral positions on commercial and legal exceptions to internal customers and General Counsel, as appropriate, for resolution.
- CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS - Has a high degree of business interaction and business area experience to establish and maintain relationships with key business unit customers on more critical categories and projects. Ensures the business unit understands the risk strategy to be used with suppliers/contractors for more complex materials, equipment, and services transactions. Must have extensive knowledge of operations and supply base. Uses this knowledge to identify and advise on more technical and/or complex operational procurement issues with BU personnel. Recommends areas to improve the business unit relationship and leads improvement effort. Facilitates communication between the suppliers, field locations, other sourcing staff, and management. Provide training to business unit customers.
- SUPPLIER RELATIONSHIPS - Establishes and maintains supplier relationships to meet business unit customers' needs. Provides timely response to supplier questions. Monitors supplier activities and recommends areas to improve the supplier relationship and acts on improvement in conjunction with the category manager. Contributes to formal supplier performance meetings and leads continuous improvement efforts.
- SOURCING STRATEGY & PRACTICE - Participates in cross-functional sourcing and business unit teams and in discussions regarding effective sourcing strategy and processes. Utilizes sourcing best practices to efficiently and effectively conduct assignments. Ensures adherence to corporate and business unit sourcing policies and procedures. Promotes the use of good quality standards in the business units. Ensures necessary documentation and records are maintained for all transactions. Contributes to sourcing and purchasing process improvement efforts.
- MATERIAL/DELIVERY MANAGEMENT - Partners with business unit logistics staff and may lead efforts to ensure effective and efficient use of more complex inventory and critical direct ship items. Monitors status of material orders and service contracts, and expedites material deliveries to meet schedule commitments.
- MENTORING - Mentors and coaches Associate Buyers and Buyers in requisitioning, bidding/awards, contracting, customer/supplier relationship management and sourcing strategy and practice.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Project Management, Business, Finance or equivalent experience required
- 5 plus years of purchasing or logistics experience or previous experience in plant operations or utility field operations
- Pursue and maintain Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) or equivalent
- Must be customer focused
- Strong interpersonal and relationship skills are required
- Senior Buyer is frequently required to attend meetings in several different locations, and up to 10% domestic travel is required
Primary Location: MN-Becker
- Expert contract knowledge, negotiation and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft® Office suite and ERP systems
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...