The primary purpose of this position is to support the company’s national regulatory compliance efforts. Note: The individual in this position is not intended to practice law or provide legal advice.
· Supports Regulatory Compliance and Corporate Affairs Department activities by focusing on the following key accountabilities in partnership with assigned Specialist for 16-17 assigned states or another Coordinator for handling of 6-10 states. When paired with the Specialist will be the lead on matters for 11-12 of the assigned states and will direct the Senior Coordinator’s accountabilities in those states. The Senior Coordinator, however, will have primary responsibility for 4-6 of those assigned states following an initial 90-day training period. When paired with another Coordinator, the Senior Coordinator assumes the lead on assigned states without oversight by a Specialist:
· Maintain required regulatory licenses in a constantly changing regulatory environment in support of departmental objectives. Develops and demonstrates understanding of the business need for each license and interprets the laws regarding licensing requirements for each license in assigned states.
· Communicates and coordinates externally with regulatory authorities to understand enforcement expectations including, but not limited to, successfully negotiating with such authorities to achieve interpretations of regulatory requirements, consulting with assigned Specialist on an ad-hoc basis regarding outcome of such communication. Educates external contacts regarding unique aspects of ASH’s business practices.
· Communicates and coordinates internally with various departments to understand rationale of operations and to communicate regulatory enforcement expectations of such operations including recommending courses of action, interpreting and translating enforcement expectations to current business practices. Communicates effectively with internal departments to obtain necessary information for regulatory filings based on the needs of each regulatory agency, in part by educating internal contacts on the unique regulatory environments in assigned states. Consults with assigned Specialist on an as needed basis to resolve any issues.
· Under limited supervision, works to research, communicate and coordinate regulatory compliance issues across multiple disciplines and levels of workforce (i.e. communicates well with staff ranging from entry level to senior executive level personnel).
· Under limited supervision, completes detailed analysis of legislative session reviews and promulgation of regulations for assigned states to research, assess and determine impact of regulatory changes on business operations, consulting with assigned Specialist on an ad-hoc basis to resolve any high level regulatory compliance issues. Effectively communicates such regulatory changes to organization through written communication and oral presentation to senior management staff. Works with senior management staff to ensure proposed compliance measures will meet enforcement expectations. On an ad-hoc basis, completes regulatory research projects across multiple disciplines and states.
· Under limited supervision, performs detailed research, analysis and summarization of regulatory compliance issues. In conjunctions with assigned Specialist, recommends courses of actions regarding regulatory compliance issues and presents recommendations to Management and/or Senior Management. Resolves ad-hoc compliance issues. Consults with assigned specialist to resolve complex regulatory compliance issues.
· Compiles documents for regulatory filings based on knowledge of unique regulatory framework while meeting required deadlines in support of departmental objectives; such filings include, but are not limited to, the following: license applications, license renewals, financial filings, inquiry/complaint responses and regulatory market surveys for annual and quarterly reports.
· Supports the company’s overall activities by focusing on the following:
· Provides Senior Director and assigned Specialist with periodic regulatory status updates regarding individual assignments.
· Informs Senior Director and assigned Specialist of urgent issues.
· Represents the company in an ethical, professional, and positive manner
· Maintains confidentiality of all company information and uses discretion in discussing regulatory compliance issues with internal contacts.
· Maintains computer and system skills necessary to perform job functions.
· Photocopies, files and faxes as needed to support job responsibilities.
· Follows department administrative guidelines including, but not limited to, guidelines regarding project tracking and record keeping practices.
· Performs all related duties, as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in English, History, Political Science or equivalent; Legal degree, paralegal or legal secretary certificate or equivalent experience.
· 1-3 years experience with regulatory compliance in a health care environment, with experience in regulatory compliance research.
· Knowledge of Department of Insurance, Department of Health Insurance Law, and/or Health Care Law preferred.
· Excellent research skills.
· Strong analytical and writing skills.
· In-depth understanding of ASH systems, policies and procedures preferred.
· Proficient in MS Office, including Word and Excel.
· Ability to exercise strict confidentiality in all matters.
· Demonstrated ability to interact in a positive, respectful manner and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
· Ability to display excellent customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers.
· Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills to identify critical core competencies based on success factors and organizational environment.
· Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, multi-task and manage time.
· Demonstrated accuracy and productivity in a changing environment with constant interrupts.
· Demonstrated ability to analyze information, problems, issues, situations and procedures to develop effective solutions.
Mobility - Primarily sedentary, able to sit for long periods of time.
Physical Requirements – Ability to speak, see and hear other personnel and/or objects. Ability to communicate both in oral and written form. Ability to travel within and outside of the facility. Capable of using a telephone and computer keyboard. Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
Environmental Conditions - Usual office setting.
ASH Companies - 17 months ago