Job Description – Corporate and Compliance Counsel
EducationDynamics LLC (“EDDY”, “EducationDynamics”, or the “Company”) is an internet marketing services company serving the higher education industry. We provide high quality, student-focused products and services which enable post-secondary schools to find, enroll and retain students by helping those students select the right program at the right school at the right time.
We believe we serve our school-clients best by serving students first. We deliver on this mission by providing students with valuable, in-depth information and helpful tools that allow them to match their interests and make informed choices on the programs best suited to their individual needs.
EDDY was formed seven years ago through a series of acquisitions of lead providers to the education industry. We own and operate over 60 special interest websites, each of which providing deep, interactive content and valuable resources to enable potential students to make informed choices.
Our strategy is centered on 2 main themes:
This strategy positions us to provide higher quality prospects as well as solutions to help the schools maximize the prospects they receive. Our products include multiple quality tiers of prospect leads, consulting and research services, lead management solutions, agency services, and enrollment management services. Our ability to guide students to the best programs that suit their needs results in higher enrollment rates and higher retention rates, which correspond to a high percentage of desired student outcomes and higher revenue for our school partners.
- Be the leader in Prospect Delivery by:
- identifying, attracting and engaging prospective students
- matching students to the right program at the right school at the right time
- providing access to the programs that the students demand
- Offering additional services that directly leverage our excellence in Prospect Delivery to help students enroll in and complete the appropriate program
We have worked hard to earn and maintain our industry leadership through a deeply rooted philosophy of serving our schools best by serving students first. This commitment has been at the heart of our success since we began over a decade ago, and continues today as we proudly serve more than 1,000 higher education colleges and universities of all types and sizes.
This position is based in our Hoboken, NJ office.
About the Position
As Senior Corporate and Compliance Counsel, your two primary responsibilities will be managing the day to day compliance operations across our business units as well as handling the day to day legal issues for the company. The compliance responsibilities include managing vendor relationships, working closely with external counsel to ensure we continue our industry leading compliance standards, educating and resolving issues with clients, vendors and internal teams, and approving marketing materials to ensure our internal and industry standards are met. The legal responsibilities include preparing and negotiating client and some vendor contracts (e.g., master services agreements, purchase agreements, software licenses, insertion orders, nondisclosure agreements, etc.), providing counsel to business, media and sales employees on legal matters impacting their areas of responsibility.
The position reports directly to our General Counsel.
This position duties and responsibilities include:
- Prepare, review and negotiate various contracts involving purchases, vendor relationships, licenses, technology development, sales, and leases, among others.
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices; and keep abreast of proposed and existing legislation as well as regulations set by from the Department of Education (DoE), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Federal Commerce Commission (FCC) as it pertains to internet, mobile and telephone marketing.
- Work closely with our Client Services team to gain insights into client compliance guidelines and expectations.
- Manage internal and external creative approval process
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve vendor-specific compliance issues.
- Provide consultation and legal advice with respect to strategic initiatives, technology projects, intellectual property, human resources, dispute resolution, corporate policies and procedures, and administration, in potentially sensitive and highly complex matters.
- Anticipate and minimize legal risks involving the business units within the Company.
- Prepare forms of contracts and other legal documentation.
- May perform other duties as necessary or requested.
Qualified candidates must possess:
- Ability to clearly and efficiently communicate verbally and in writing with both internal company representatives and external parties. Ability to prepare and verbally deliver presentations to a variety of internal and/or external audiences.
- Ability to investigate complex business problems, develop effective recommendations, negotiate and/or present solutions, and resolve problems in a highly professional and tactful manner.
- Highly motivated, organized, and able to set priorities effectively.
- Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills.
Extremely thorough, analytical, and focused on details.
- Ability to work across organization to resolve an issue.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Very strong problem solving & investigative skills, and ability to work with minimal direction.
Other skills and experiences that will be viewed favorably:
- Industry Experience – Background in regulated industries (ideally, education) or online marketing. Strong understanding of online media channels and trends in internet and mobile advertising and telemarketing as it relates to compliance and regulation.
- Team Player – Demonstrated ability to consistently contribute in a team setting. Solid interpersonal skills – the ability to pick up on nuances of client interaction and communications.
- Execution Focused – Exceptional writing, conceptual design, presentation and negotiation skills. Demonstrates the ability to manage multiple tasks in an extremely fast-paced environment, be extremely organized and have an eye for detail. Strong project management skills.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Graduation from an accredited law school.
- Possess a current law license in a state and be a member in good standing in that state's bar. Be eligible for in-house admission as appropriate.
- 2-4 years experience (preferably, a combination of law firm and in-house training)
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Must be detailed orientated, quick learner and a self-starter