Job Title: Senior Database Administrator
Reports To: Lead DBA
Department: Data Management
Division: Information Technology
Target Salary: $72,051.20 - $92,664.00 annually
FLSA Status : Exempt
Number of Openings: 1
Accepting Applications: 3/27/13 until filled
SUMMARY: This position designs, implements, maintains, optimizes and controls the organization's physical database structures, to ensure secure and timely data access balanced with data integrity and recoverability. They also assist the Manager – Database Management in the planning and coordination of internal database projects and staff.
1. Analyzes database modifications to access impact on total environment before implementation.
2. Develops and documents standards for use, control, updating, and maintenance of databases.
3. Consults with Data Administration, systems analysts and business users to obtain contextual information related to new or existing data files.
4. Establishes, maintains and migrates databases used for development, testing, quality assurance, and production.
5. Develops automated and procedural means to enforce security, enhance recoverability, optimize performance and reinforce other characteristics associated with a healthy database environment.
6. Proactively analyzes database performance via DBMS, third-party, or in-house tools to optimize database performance where indicated.
7. Develops training materials on the organization's databases.
8. Participates in software selection process, including but not limited to, selection of Database Management Systems, third-party backup/recovery software, monitoring/tuning packages, data repositories and database reporting tools.
9. Assists with the design, construction, and optimization of systems architecture with database connectivity and other Internet technologies.
10. Assist in Systems Testing and implementation as needed.
11. Provides support for testing, implementation and maintenance of essential DBMS utilities, and new releases of DBMS software and fixes.
12. Provides technical database support for distributed databases and business intelligence systems.
13. Other duties may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS*
• High school diploma or GED – Required
Bachelors in related field - Preferred
• Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
• Thoughtfulness and creativity
• Strong problem solving skills
• Values collaboration and teamwork
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience in general IT - Required
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in systems analysis and design using relational database technology - Required
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in database administration experience using DB2 or SQL Server.- Preferred
• Training in file structures and design, information retrieval techniques, file access methods and control, and development and documentation of standards.- Required
• Familiarity with Java, J2EE, EJBs, .Net, and application servers such as WebSphere, Internet technologies, and DB2 or SQL Server support products - Preferred
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities required.