The Active Network, Inc. provides Software as a Service and marketing services to community service organizations worldwide and has earned a reputation as a leading online destination for active lifestyles, winning the best place to work in San Diego by the San Diego business journal. The company’s application services help organizations reduce the cost and complexity of managing the things people love, want, and need to do during their daily activities. The IT organization is committed to being a partner to the business with heavy focus on driving competitive value through the architecture, design, and operations; utilizing leading edge cloud based technologies and impeccable service.
We are seeking a Jr. Database Administrator to learn and help with design, installation, configuration, tuning, monitoring, backup and run Oracle and SQL databases across multiple development and testing environments including production support. In addition, this role will mentor team members in North America and China on database security practices, standards and performance best practices.
This position will play a vital role in the success of Active’s largest and leading project to provide a new platform for the company to run on. The Jr. Database Administrator will report to the Sr. Director of Infrastructure Development and Service Delivery.
- Develop, document and maintain on-going vision for the company’s database architecture
- Develop and document policies, procedures, standards and guidelines
- Facilitate the selection and implementation of database system infrastructure to match the global needs of the company
- Provide input as to proper tools and environment selection
- Recommend and implement tuning opportunities to improve system response and run times
- Optimize database accessibility by developing load balancing architectures and processes to eliminate down time for backup processes. Limits database accessibility based upon information security level and ensures data spillage from more secure to less secure databases does not occur.
- Assist in installation patches/upgrades of database management systems (DBMS) software as necessary. Research various hardware and software products; recommend solution and implement approved products.
- Assist software developers in database schema design and automate propagate changes across multiple environments
- Assist in ensuring changes to production databases are tested and troubleshoot related problems
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 1+ years working in a technology environment. (Preferred)
- Good attitude and willingness to learn and grow in the field