As a member of the DDI Product Development team, the focus of the Senior Database Engineer is to ensure best practices in database design, data access (including ORM usage), and database programming in all R&D initiatives (Enterprise systems, as well as R&D product applications).
- Act as a primary contributor to the creation of DDI’s business analytics / business intelligence product offerings.
- In conjunction with our MIS DBAs, incorporate performance tuning, reliability, consistency changes recommended by that team as non-functional use stories for the R&D scrum teams as a partner to the project teams.
- Provide guidance to Product Development and MIS teams on Database Infrastructure considerations (Storage/SAN, Clusters, etc.) as necessary.
- Collaborate closely with product owners and business partners on determining and distilling technical data requirements based on business process and business need
- In hearing the business requirements, ensure that all necessary data objects, entities, and attributes are present and accounted for in order to supply data sufficiency for requirements and business processes.
- Establish a source of ownership, a mapping to any necessary events in the enterprise, and data access methods for non-authoritative stores
- Develop electronic models that show all relevant business objects (entities) that support the business, the relationships between them, the systems that own the objects, and the systems that consume the objects
- As DDI implements its Service-Oriented and Event-Driven Architecture, outline the flow of data objects through the DDI enterprise and ensure a communication strategy (through use of modeling tools) to all technical personnel and business partners
- Work with DDI’s Delivery & Solutions Group consulting organization to understand the nature of the use of the data (such as Competencies, Project IDs, Assessment Types, etc.) to prescribe strategies for capturing and using key enterprise data objects (i.e. data relevant to multiple systems across DDI’s enterprise)
- Assist Software Engineering group with best practices surrounding data security
- Manage, change, and implement ETL process changes to support changing and dynamic business needs
- Create traceability model for all data elements sourced from business applications into the Data Warehouse
- Hold regular meetings with the R&D teams to discuss planning schema changes in our business applications contained within all upcoming releases of the business applications
- Determine the necessary changes in the Data Warehouse/ETL layer necessary as a result of business application R&D releases
- Implement the necessary changes in the Data Warehouse/ETL to account for business application R&D releases
- Communicate the Data Warehouse/ETL changes to all necessary business and technology stakeholders with respect to impact and implications of the changes.
- Act as a liaison for DDI’s Reporting platform engineer(s) on data structures contained in DDI’s OLAP stores.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Platforms / Operating Systems: Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) 2008/2010, Visual Studio 2008/2010, UML modeling (i.e. VS, Visio)
- Experience developing analytics with Information Builders WebFOCUS platform, a plus.
- Technical/Analytical: Advanced knowledge of T-SQL, ability to quickly analyze query execution plans, prior experience with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) processes, modeling data warehouse schemas from multiple sources data stores, strong problem-solving skills, excellent technical writing skills, ability to think through implications of decisions (both from a business process and technical standpoint).
- Working knowledge of Object-Relational Models (i.e. nHibernate, SubSonic)
- Communication: Ability to communicate complex data concepts to both Business and technical audiences
- Collaboration: Must be able to work on cross-functional project teams, prior experience working in the Agile methodology (preferred)