Sr. Database Engineer – |
Department: Data Center Engineering
Reports to: Data Center Operations Lead
The Database Engineer is an integral part of the Data Center Engineering team and overall delivery of SPS Commerce services. The Database Engineer is responsible for administering databases along all aspects of the service lifecycle. This position requires a relentless pursuit to develop, scale, improve, and support database services within the organization. The Senior Database Engineer is responsible for proving technical leadership to a small group of Database Engineers as well as hands-on execution of tasks.
MEASUREMENTS OF SUCCESS
- Provide appropriate documentation, cross-training, and technical leadership for team members.
- Develop and execute best-practice directives for asset management, configuration management, patch management, access management, and problem management related to database services.
- Manage to service level goals for best-practice directives.
- Responsible for the deployment, configuration, monitoring, and ongoing operations of databases.
- Maintain database backup and recovery services for database systems.
- Engage with Database Architects and Development teams to execute strategic initiatives.
- Develop reports and other applications necessary to support database service operations.
- Participate in on-call rotation and incident management processes.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ability to balance multiple projects and tasks concurrently in a fast paced environment.
- Meet or exceed performance, availability, and recoverability requirements for database services.
- Propose and execute service improvements through database tuning, process improvements, and infrastructure improvements.
- Demonstrate proficient troubleshooting skills to provide resolution to incidents and problem management projects.
- Effectively manage projects within the Database Engineering team.
- Adherence to the highest quality standards.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Continued development of technical skills.
- 5 or more years as a Database Administrator in a 24x7 operations environment.
- College Degree or equivalent years of experience.
- Experience supporting database applications in a highly available, highly transactional environment.
- Proficient in all areas of administration for Oracle, MS SQL, and PostgreSQL database servers required.
- Ability to understand application architecture and its impact on database design.
- Proficiency in using various database administration tools including Toad for Oracle, Oracle Grid Control, and PostgreSQL administration tools.
- Basic Systems Engineering skills for using various operating systems including Windows, UNIX, and Linux.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with persons at all levels of the organization, including customers, employees, and management.
SPS Commerce - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
SPS Commerce perfects the power of retail trading partner relationships with the industry's most broadly adopted, enterprise retail cloud...