Basic Function of the Position:
Direct communications and public relations programs designed to promote CEA’s public policy positions, CEA’s brand and the consumer electronics industry. Support and assist the SVP of Communications and Strategic Relationships.
Critical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate the development and execution of PR and advocacy campaigns in support of CEA’s public policy initiatives, including CEA's grassroots Innovation Movement, and including but not limited to CEA’s broadband, trade, intellectual property, environment
and energy, and other regulatory and legislative initiatives and positions.
2. Oversee the development and implementation of CEA’s Executive Visibility campaign in support of CEA-authored books, public policy initiatives and association priorities, including but not limited to high-level broadcast media appearances, speaking engagements,
and publication of op-eds and letters-to-the-editor.
Consumer Electronics Industry
3. Lead and manage the development and implementation of promotional and strategic communications campaigns on behalf of CEA membership groups, departments and industry product categories as assigned, as well as demographic and other “specialty” campaigns,
including the Digital Answer Man campaign.
4. Act as CEA media contact and spokesperson, and represent CEA in public speaking engagements.
5. Deepen and expand relationships for CEA with top tier technology policy and DC-influencer media.
6. Assist SVP, Communications and Strategic Relationships in the development and implementation of CEA’s earned media efforts, including message development, spokesperson/expert preparation, rapid response to daily deadline-driven publications, and high-level
7. Write high quality, publication-ready materials including press releases, industry promotional pieces, speeches, position papers, op-eds, letters to the editor, blog posts, etc.
8. Provide communications and PR support to CEA executive office and senior staff
9. Assist SVP, Communications and Strategic Relationships in the selection and direction of outside consultants. Maintain relationships and oversee associated project budgets for external consultants.
10. Lead, develop, and direct departmental staff by planning, recruiting, communicating job expectations, coaching, and training.
11. Perform other duties as required.
· 8-12 years of experience in communications, public relations, or public affairs
· Hill or public affairs campaign experience preferred
· Expertise in consumer product communications strategies and tactics
· Proven success with writing, editing and publication of earned media pieces
· Experience with project management, including budgetary responsibilities and demonstrated ability to measure program results.
· Familiarity with regulatory and legislative process at the Federal and state levels required
· Familiarity with technology sector or consumer electronics industry preferred
· At least 2 years of experience with motivating, leading and managing staff including the ability to foster a collaborative environment.
· Strong media relationships a plus
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
· Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing skills
· Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines
· Strong public speaking skills
· High level focus on details and accuracy
Budget and Staff:
· Total budget responsibilities approximately $2.0 million
· Supervise staff of six
Must be able to travel to CES and other related events and conferences throughout the year as needed
Consumer Electronics Association - 15 months ago