Posting Title Sr. Director Performance Engineering About Us VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. As a team, our employees thrive on forward momentum. We are an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to architect what’s next for the future of IT. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are a passionate, innovative and driven group inspired to make a difference in the industry and our communities. Connect with us at www.vmware.com/careers. Why work for our Division VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China. Job Description VMware is looking for an experienced and seasoned Senior Director Engineering - Performance with an established record of success in high quality corporate organizations. Significant current domain experience within the industry, in performance optimization and scalability, as well as in system software is required. Experience with virtualized environments preferred. The successful candidate will have both broad engineering/development and managerial experience. He/She will have experience in successfully reviewing and adjusting organizational structure and augmenting the organization as appropriate. The Senior Director Engineering - Performance will have proven and significant team building, communication & leadership skills.
The Senior Director Engineering - Performance will develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy for the Performance team within VMware. He/she will establish a culture of excellence in execution for VMware. This executive will define realistic targets and milestones, focus the engineering team, establish a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as an inspiring mentor and coach, ensure that quality is a high priority at every stage, and support moving of products into production in the desired timeframes. Directly manage the people performance of the Performance development team to ensure that the organization is meeting customer needs on time and on quality and contributing positively to the profitability and margin requirements for VMware.
Qualifications and Experience
- Responsible for the performance and scalability of VMware’s flagship virtualization products. Analyze product performance and resource utilization. Work closely with other development teams and business units within VMware to set a high bar for the performance of VMware products
- Responsible for VMware’s competitive benchmarking program. This includes development of virtualization benchmarks and publishing competitive benchmarking results.
- Expand the scope of the Performance team to take on the performance evaluation and tuning of new products as part of an expanding VMware suite.
- . Develop performance analysis and profiling tools .
- Participate in and lead the evaluation of competitive products and maintain VMware’s leadership position in all aspects of virtualization and related solutions.
- Evangelize best practices and reference architectures for obtaining maximum performance. Educate customers on the performance characteristics of VMware products. Guide and advise VMware partners on tuning their systems for a high performing VMware environment
- Build rapport, develop, lead, and inspire the Performance team and engender trust and confidence. Be a magnet for software development talent and accelerate the hiring of strong engineering professionals. Solidify succession plans and enhance management capabilities to meet strategic and operating objectives.
- Be a respected engineering leader in the company and quickly internalize VMware’s policies and processes. Establish a strong collaborative culture with peers and other functions within VMware. Promote a culture of success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity. Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the Performance team.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the complexities and needs of running a software development organization such as making technology and architectural trade-offs, competitive analysis, market gap analysis, life-cycle management, etc.
- Work closely and engage with VMware executives and direct reports to establish an environment that is motivating and entrepreneurial in nature.
- Represent the Performance team effectively both internally at VMware and externally with partners and customers, with excellent communication skills.
- 10 - 15+ years of progressively broadening software development leadership experience with a strong track record of success in the architecture, performance tuning, development, and delivery of highly complex, enterprise class systems.
- Has inherent knowledge of development processes and best practices to manage multiple, large scale, and co-dependent software development projects consistently on time and on budget.
- Specific experience organizing and/or reorganizing a product development and performance evaluation function for growth into highly competitive new markets and product lines such as Cloud computing where taking advantage of strategic opportunities requires short product life cycles and flexible and adaptable product architectures.
- Demonstrated track record of implementing enhanced product development processes that shorten release cycles and improve “time to market” for new products.
- Proven leadership experience setting the vision and building, leading, and motivating development teams. Trained in software development organization and leadership from a company well known and widely respected for world-class software development processes and practices.
- Experience working across multiple teams towards a common goal. Ability to influence others and take responsibility for cross-functional projects.
- Knowledge and experience of System Software and Virtualization technologies.
- Demonstrates a “high organizational IQ”.
- Has successfully managed highly technical teams of at least 60 - 100 people.
- Stays abreast of key competitor actions and their implications or threats to the business.
- Experienced managing geographically distributed teams.
- Conveys an understanding of the organization's global market position, opportunities, capabilities, and competitive threats.
- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
- Prepares realistic estimates of resource requirements (e.g., budget, headcount) needed to accomplish team or work group objectives.
- Holds people accountable for achieving their goals.
- Fosters a customer-focused environment.
- Leads by example, creating a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work.
- Inspires others to stretch beyond what they thought they could do.
Technical undergraduate degree required. An advanced degree is highly desirable. Location Palo Alto, CA, US Is this a remote or multiple location position? No
Requisition Number 40717BR
VMware - 16 months ago
VMware, Inc.is a company providing virtualization software founded in 1998 and based in Palo Alto, California, USA. It is majority owned by...