Performs engineering work requiring full competency in all conventional aspects of electrical design engineering.
Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and the substantial adaptation of standard electrical engineering techniques, procedures and criteria; devises new approaches to problems as encountered.
Plans and coordinates detailed phases of the electrical engineering activities for part of a major project or a total project of moderate scope. Routinely provides guidance and direction to engineers and/or technicians for the duration of a project assignment.
The ideal Sr. Electrical Engineer would be very hands-on, detail-oriented with experience in the following:
- Embedded micro controller circuit design and embedded firmware development
- Digital & analog circuit design experience
- USB, WiFi wireless radio experience
- EMI/EMC/ESD testing
- Primary and secondary battery powered devices
- switching/linear power supplies
- IEC60601-1 compliance testing
- Medical device development experience
- Experience with circuit simulation and circuit board schematic capture/layout tools preferred.
- Conducts electrical engineering activities of significant scope or degree of difficulty (medium-large component/system/processes associated with a medium to large project).
Performs most assignments independently, with only general supervision/ instruction as to expected results.
- Oversees electrical design testing for assigned projects.
- Performs electrical design and provides expertise as well as critical review for projects as assigned.
- Reviews and guides the resolution of technical issues as needed and assures that technical work meets requirements.
- Contributes to design specifications and project plans.
- Assures design activities proceed per requirements of company SOPs.
- Introduces new technology to the company.
- Maintains communications within and outside of department in support of electrical engineering activities, such as project management meetings, design review meetings, material review, etc.
Actively participates in and contributes to the decision-making process; often conducts the meeting or presentation, and makes follow-up assignments for team members.
- Attends and frequently conducts team meetings.
- Coordinates communications with vendors on technical issues.
- Generates or reviews Purchase Order requests for materials on assigned projects.
- Oversees preparation of documentation associated with electrical engineering activities to include drawings/schematics, validation/capability testing, various new and revised operating procedures, etc.
- Creates and/or reviews design verification test protocols and reports, design of experiments and hazardous analyses.
- Assures appropriate design documentation for assigned projects.
- Generates and/or reviews component documentation.
- Reviews documentation from other departments such as Quality Assurance, Purchasing, Regulatory Affairs, etc.
Position Description & Requirements:
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- Participates in and conducts Smiths Medical facilitated training and development programs designed to increase knowledge in issues related to medical device manufacturing and development, such as GMP, Total Quality, etc., as well their application at Smiths Medical.
- This position is required
to assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures (including but not limited to FDA, Quality Systems Regulations, ISO 13485, ISO 14001, government occupational health and environmental regulations and statutes).
- Engage others, promote, and participate in
Environmental, Health, and Safety initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering field, with seven to ten years professional level electrical design engineering experience.
Medical industry experience is preferred.
- Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, with four to six years electrical design engineering experience also meets requirements.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, with three to five years electrical design engineering experience also meets requirements.
- Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of electrical design engineering, as well as competency in related specialty fields.
Knowledge is evidenced by a cumulative GPA of 3.0, or above in engineering major, plus breadth of experience, previous job progression, accomplishments and performance levels.
- Uses considerable judgment in the planning, scheduling and coordinating of project phases, as well as the selection of engineering techniques and criteria.
Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and technical writing skills.
Able to plan and conduct effective meetings and group presentations.
- Knowledge and skill in electrical engineering documentation procedures, development methods and project management, with the ability to rapidly master Smiths Medical internal procedures and methods, such as Documentation System, ECOs, DOEs, DVTs, MDAs, etc.
- Depth of knowledge of SOPs, GMP/FDA/ISO 9000, etc., principles and proven skill in integrating into electrical engineering discipline preferred.
Smiths Medical - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Smiths Medical's forges are primed to produce medical tools for intensive care, surgery, and post-operative care procedures. Part of...