Interest Sub Category:
Engineering - Geotechnical
Job Title :
Sr. Geotechnical Engineer
Type of Position:
MS in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 12 years of experience and a California PE. Familiarity with the following, or substantially similar, geotechnical software applications: APILE and LPILE for axial and lateral pile capacity, SLOPEW and SEEPW for slope stability and seepage analysis, GRLWEAP for pile-driving analysis, and UNISETTLE for settlement.
Candidate must have experience with project management, including proposal preparation, project execution, budget administration and cost control, schedule control, interfacing with clients and project team members, report preparation, presentation of report to client, management of project during construction, participation in field meetings, and responding to submittals and requests for information. Candidate shall have proven capability to prepare reports that include geotechnical and foundation recommendations for various types of structures.
Position requires proficiency in geotechnical analysis for shallow and deep foundation systems, seepage and landslide stability analysis and mitigation, seismic hazard analyses, levee evaluations, pavement design and earthwork operations. It also requires experience in supervising geotechnical field exploration and instrumentation, directing geotechnical laboratory testing and construction monitoring.
Position requires management of geotechnical investigations for various types of facilities, including levees, pipelines, roadways, multi-story structures, power plants, chemical plants, etc. Position also requires management of site-specific studies with regard to geologic hazards, embankment slope stability, and landslide remediation. These studies include reviewing existing data, site visits, and preparing reports discussing geologic hazards such as landsliding, expansive soils, and seismic hazards, including liquefaction, lateral spreading, densification settlement, faulting, ground shaking, and ground rupture. Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
Manage multi-disciplinary projects and programs; provide senior technical leadership within the department; and interact with regulatory agencies in the private-sector, public-sector, and government agencies. Types of facilities include dams, levees, canals, power-plant facilities, wastewater treatment plants, and medium-rise commercial and medium-rise residential buildings.
Primary Responsibilities include:
• Reviews regulations and standards necessary to conduct technical studies and carry out project design and permitting work.
• Directs and conducts field data acquisition.
• Prepares and/or peer reviews designs, specifications, and construction documents.
• Conducts site investigations and surveys.
• Applies engineering principles to develop effective solutions.
• Completes planning and evaluation studies.
• Calculates cost and determines feasibility of project based on analysis of collected data, applying knowledge and techniques of engineering, and advanced mathematics.
• Prepares or directs preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, transportation impact analysis, and designs for project.
• Inspects construction site to monitor progress and assesses conformance to engineering plans, specifications, and construction standards.
• Addresses Request for Information (RFI) from contractors related to design issues.
• Oversees construction and maintenance activities at project site in support of construction management tasks and/or design-build projects.
• May use computer-assisted engineering and design software, including computer simulation models and Geographical Information System (GIS) software, and equipment to prepare engineering and design analysis and documents.
• May analyze reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, traffic data, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrologic and hydraulic characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design project.
• Is familiar with government, client, and industry local codes, regulations, and standards governing design and construction projects in their respective field.
• Has knowledge of applicable health and safety requirements and environmental concerns.
• Has familiarity with regulations governing the implementation and operations of these systems.
• Has knowledge of Funding/Preparing Funding applications.
• Communicate frequently with project staff and upper management regarding task and budgets.
• Applies QA/QC requirements to own work and work of project team that individual is responsible for.
URS Corporation - 20 months ago
URS Corporation provides a range of engineering, construction, maintenance, and technical services for customers around the world. Through...