The Allen Institute for Brain Science, located in Seattle WA, is comprised of a multidisciplinary staff committed to understanding how the brain works and helping to unlock the mysteries of neurological diseases and disorders affecting millions worldwide. Serving the scientific community is at the center of our mission to accelerate progress toward understanding the brain and neurological systems. Creating tools and data that advance the pursuits of thousands and thousands of scientists around the world is our contribution to revolutionary neuroscience. To this end, the Allen Institute's resources - each a groundbreaking creation - are free and publicly available online.
This position provides legal expertise in the areas of patents and other IP to provide strategic direction and guidance that furthers the Allen Institute’s overall organizational mission. Assists in the development of the IP strategy, manages the prosecution and enforcement of the IP portfolios (patent, trademark and copyright), reviews and negotiates technology and IP-related agreements, and provides general support and advice regarding technology and IP-related issues. Scope of work includes formulating patent strategies, assisting with patent application preparation, reviewing new technologies, leading the invention disclosure review process, training and education of employees on IP matters, licensing, litigation support and providing guidance on best practices. Works with other in-house counsel to provide short and long term business results for the organization and with scientists and other stakeholders to create and sustain an overall favorable IP position.
- Recommends optimal strategies for protecting and leveraging the Allen Institute’s IP portfolios (patent, trademark and copyright)
- Works closely with scientists and the internal patent committee to determine which IP to formally protect
- Manages the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent, trademark and copyright applications and manages outside counsel activities and budget in this regard
- Develops and manages the internal patent disclosure and protection program
- Drafts, implements and manage policies, procedures and processes relating to patents and other IP
- Provides general guidance and act as the subject matter expert on patents and other IP
- Supports cross-functional efforts by conducting due diligence regarding potential development activities
- Reviews and negotiates technology and IP-related agreements, including in-licenses, out-licenses, collaboration agreements, purchase agreements and development agreements
- Trains and educates personnel on inventing, patenting and other IP related matters
- Acts as a resource for Allen Institute personnel regarding all areas of IP law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, infringement, and licensing and regarding the intersection of law and technology
- Assists the General Counsel and other members of the Legal Department as needed in additional legal matters
We offer competitive pay, a generous benefits package, and a dynamic, engaging environment.
- J.D. from a nationally recognized, ABA accredited law school
- 8+ years of relevant experience as a practicing attorney in either a law firm or corporate environment with some in-house experience required and large law firm experience preferred
- Must have in-depth experience in strategic IP counseling, licensing and patent prosecution
- Science background required
- Nonprofit experience helpful
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter with the ability to meet or exceed deadlines, prioritize, multi-task and maintain flexibility in a fast paced, changing environment
- Ability to work effectively and seamlessly with senior management and multiple teams within the organization
- Washington State Bar Association admission in good standing. Registration to practice before the USPTO.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at:
Link to job posting: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH11/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ALLENINSTITUTE&cws=1&rid=320
The Allen Institute for Brain Science is an equal opportunity employer.