This position is for those individuals who have wide range of interest and knowledge in both application and system space and who would to contribute to building tools to help build scalable and flexible infrastructure system for the world’s most established and recognized media.
The primary function of this position has two aspects: 1) Engineering and Development 2) Operation and Support.
From the engineering and development aspect, consists primarily building a brand new Ruby on Rails application for managing both internal ESX-based infrastructure and Amazon Web Services as well as Google Compute Engine and any other Cloud system that would be beneficial to the organization.
The qualified candidate would be working closely with the system engineering team and systems operation team to develop standards and processes to increase the productivity and efficiency across the board and develop automation tools around such standards and processes.
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails or any other modern web development platform
- Comfortable with Linux/Unix and advanced Unix Commands
- Advanced Scripting using Perl, Ruby, Python, Bash
- Continuous Integration Tools such as Jenkins, Anthill Pro, Bamboo, Travis
- Experience with MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and good knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with configuring and managing Apache, NginX and Haproxy.
- Experience with AWS - EC2, SQS, SNS, SES, S3, IAM and understanding of its APIs.
- Experience with other virtualization or cloud technologies
- Experience with system automaton such as Puppet, mCollective, Chef.
- Experience with monitoring system such as Zabbix, Nagios, Munin, Cacti etc
- Understanding of Scrum and agile methodologies
- Team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with C language is a plus.
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2012 revenues of $2.0 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com , BostonGlobe.com , Boston.com, and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 18 months ago