Higher One Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ONE) is a leading company focused on creating cost-saving efficiencies for higher education institutions and providing high-value services to students. Higher One offers a wide array of technological services on campus, ranging from streamlining the institution’s performance analytics and financial aid refund processes to offering students innovative banking services, tuition payment plans, and the basics of financial management. Higher One works closely with colleges and universities to allocate resources more efficiently in order to provide a higher quality of service and education to students.
Founded in 2000 on a college campus by students, Higher One now serves more than half of the higher education market, providing its services to over 1,250 campuses and 10.5 million students at distinguished public and private institutions nationwide.
At Higher One, we believe that every employee is critical to our success! Our innovative services depend on the energy, values, hard work and dedication of our employees. As we continue to grow, we look for others who are also committed to retaining a small-company feel while moving us to the next level!
Higher One’s Linux System Administrator can be domiciled at our New Haven, CT, Atlanta, GA, or Oakland, CA campus. This role is ideal for an independent, fast learning, and motivated individual who wants to play a role in supporting production Linux environments, software engineering tools and open source applications.
Day To Day Responsibilities
*Note: although it is highly recommended by many current employees,caffeine intake is optional.
- Installation & administration of Linux environments (Red Hat and CentOS) including patching, account creation, upgrades, backups, etc
- Maintenance, tuning and troubleshooting of Java application server environments including JBoss and Tomcat
- Writing and maintaining scripts in perl or similar languages
- Installation, administration and support of tools used in the software development lifecycle such as cvs, git, Hudson, Maven and Sonar
- Installation and administration of application software such as Apache, Joomla, Wordpress, Bugzilla, Mediawiki, Moodle, Openfire or MySQL
- Issue resolution and troubleshooting for the Linux environments and applications.
- Rotating on-call responsibilities shared with other members of the Linux team.
- Any other random projects that involve a computer, a command line and lots of caffeine*.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Good technical diagnostic expertise including problem investigation, reproduction, and resolution skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Has the ability to acquire new skills efficiently, and thrives in a collaborative team environment.
- 6+ years experience (academic, professional or personal) with linux administration.
- Experience administering JBoss or Tomcat in production environment.
- Working knowledge of scripting and system automation (Perl, Bash, Awk, etc).
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, 401K, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- Flexible work hours
- Casual dress
- 20 Paid Time Off Days per year
- 8 Holidays per year
- Fun events
- Free Lunch
- Free Fitness Center
The higher ambition at Higher One Holdings is to facilitate higher education payments. The company provides payment processing and...