Harman International Industries, Inc. is the worldwide leader in the manufacture of high-quality, high-fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. For more than 50 years, our legendary brands have taken a leading role in the creation and innovation of progressive technologies, from the world's first car radio in 1948 to today's most revolutionary infotainment systems.
Requisition Number: ENG1887
Job Title: Sr. Manager of Engineering, DSP
Area of Interest: Engineering/ Technology
Career Level: Experienced (manager / supervisor)
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
State / Province: Utah
Country: United States
Harman International Industries, Inc. is the worldwide leader in the manufacture of high-quality, high-fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. It is the parent company behind an array of legendary brands that includes Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson® and Infinity®. The Company has developed, both internally and through a series of acquisitions, a range of product offerings. It operates in three segments: Automotive, Consumer and Professional. The Automotive segment designs, manufactures and markets audio, electronic and infotainment systems for vehicle applications primarily to be installed as original equipment by automotive manufacturers. The Consumer segment designs, manufactures and markets audio, video and electronic systems for home, mobile and multimedia applications. The Professional segment designs, manufactures and markets loudspeakers and electronic systems used by audio professionals in concert halls, stadiums, airports, houses of worship and theme attractions. For more than 50 years, our legendary brands have taken a leading role in the creation and innovation of progressive technologies, from the world's first car radio in 1948 to today's most revolutionary infotainment systems.
Direct reports may include people with any level of technical expertise through all levels of software. The number of direct reports for a Senior Manager is typically 5 to 10. Teams are geographically dispersed (Utah, Canada, India).
This position is responsible for driving all DSP software development efforts for Harmon Professional Signal Processing engineering. The primary focus of the position is managing & architecting the DSP technology used by the DSP software development team. This also involves using the Agile methodology and appropriate tools. Management duties includes driving recruiting; actively managing and developing personnel, managing a departmental budget, continuously improving processes and performance, meeting important company goals, reporting key information to upper management, timely completion of projects, and generally providing solid leadership.
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive.
- MANDATORY: Must demonstrate a high level of proficiency with DSP principles and the ability to apply them. Such principles include filter design, resampling and multi-rate processing, FFTs, Z-transform, bilinear transform, frequency-domain processing, adaptive filters, etc.
- Directs a multi-national team of DSP Software Engineers professionals in multiple locations; manages outside contractor resources.
- Works with Vendors, Hardware and Firmware teams to drive selection of chipsets for DSP processing in audio products.
- Communicates frequently with other Development, QA, and Product Management teams to enable planning, problem-solving, and shipping products.
- Ensures successful execution and delivery of engineering projects, and continuous improvement of the organization's ability to execute them.
- Makes strategic engineering solution recommendations to the senior staff.
- Drives engineering projects and maintains DSP staff by recruiting, selecting, training, coaching, and setting direction for the employees.
- Performs supervisory responsibilities for direct reports which include job reviews, recommending salaries and promotions, interviewing and hiring decisions, mentoring and disciplinary actions.
- Extensive experience in managing processes and teams that develop DSP.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in related field (CS, EE, DSP), and 10 years of progressive experience in software development; 5+ years concurrent management experience with DSP/Firmware staff.
- Proven verbal/written communication and demonstrated human relationship skills.
- Strong, hands-on experience in designing and implementing DSP solutions using best-practice methodologies in fast-paced software/hardware company.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, collaborative and iterative programming environment.
- Team player with strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently without detailed direction while managing sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Ability to handle a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from senior management, clients, customers and employees.
- Prefer master’s degree in related field (CS, EE) or equivalent industry work experience.
- Experience with C/C++, Assembly programming languages.
- Experience in effectively utilizing Agile Development methodology.
- Experience in professional audio device industry in creating DSP software for various platforms and integrating with applications on Microsoft, Apple and Android products.
- Familiarity with hardware design and engineering for audio equipment.
- Willingness to travel up to 5% of the time.
- Willingness to work in an office in Sandy, Utah.
- Willingness to submit to a background screening and a drug test.
- 2 years ago - save job
HARMAN designs and engineers connected products and solutions for consumers, automakers and enterprises worldwide, including audio, visual...