The primary function of the Sr. Network Engineer is to assist in the development, deployment, and maintenance of internal and external networks. Displaying a certain degree of creativity and latitude this person will help plan for future network growth and changes in technology.
The candidate will need to: Act in the capacity of a senior network engineer working on tasks, incidents, projects per approved change windows and architectural guidelines. The engineer will work on various network hardware/software such as Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and balancers. Will work to ensure that network devices are implemented, maintained and highly available as deployed for the business' applications. Configure and troubleshoot the network that supports connectivity to the business' applications. Produce detailed implementation instructions or carry out required changes to complete tasks/projects, resolve incidents/problems, and for changes/improvements requested by management and the architecture teams. The engineer is required to update/maintain all documentation requested by management and will be tasked with improving such documentation as required. Must be prepared to be called upon after normal business hours when needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities are as follows. Other duties may be assigned.
- Design, configure and monitor network equipment, network usage and systems availability
- Support and troubleshoot various IP technologies, including but not limited to: Network connectivity, IP addressing, Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF), HSRP, VPNs, IPSec, Load balancing, QOS, SNMP and 802.11x
- Provide configuration and troubleshooting support for Ethernet Switches, Routers, Load-Balancers, VPN Concentrators, Firewalls, and networked servers
- Provide network management support as needed for event identification, event correlation, event escalation and event triage as related to network infrastructure
- Complies with Change Management procedures
- Documents all implementations, changes and solutions in accordance with IT policies and practices
- Maintain sufficient familiarity with business / application / systems requirements
- Work with customers or potential customers to engineer integrated network solutions
- Proactively survey network traffic to identify bottlenecks and network congestion
- Training and mentoring other team members
- Assist in preparing network related reports for internal or external customers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty as described above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree in computer science or related field
- 5 years managing LAN/WAN networks (2 years working as a Sr Network Engineer)
- Thorough knowledge and experience with Cisco network devices, including but not limited to: 7200 / 2901 Routers, PIX 515 / ASA 5510 Firewalls, 2900 / 3500 / 3560 switches, CSS 11500, AP 1200 / 1142, ACS 1121
- Advanced level understanding of protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, SNMP, etc.
- Working knowledge of internet services such as DNS, RADIUS, and LDAP.
- Design, configuration and troubleshooting experience:
Virtual interfaces, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, EIGRP, RIP, PBR, QoS, Static Routing, Unsymmetrical Routing, Router NAT, HSRP/VRRP, ACL's, NTP, SNMP, Password Recovery
VLAN, VLAN Bleed, 802.1D, 802.1Q, 802.1X, VTP, Multilayer switching/routing, Multicasting
Interface priority, Public vs Private IP space, Conduits/ACLs, Cryptography, Firewall NAT (static & dynamic), Hot Failover, Common TCP/UDP Ports, IPSEC, VPN, Policy Maps, Logging, Routing
Routing, VIPs, Service Interfaces, Certificate Intercept, Owner Mapping, Load Balancing Algorithms, Content Grouping
- Analytical and detailed oriented, with the ability to plan, organize and prioritize work to meet target project dates
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent-thinker and self-starter, who can work well within a team environment
- Communicates clearly and in an understandable manor with a wide range of people such as managers, customers, vendors and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively advise and counsel both managers and non-supervisory employees on sensitive work related issues.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to organize and prioritize several projects and tasks at one time.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification required.
CareerBuilder - 4 months ago