Meet Virgin America
Virgin America is a brand new airline dedicated to making flying good again. Virgin America incorporates the Virgin Brand’s world-renowned customer focus and distinctive style, to create a high-value, low-fare airline that’s reinventing domestic flying through award-winning service and innovative amenities.
Are you Virgin enough? If you have the thirst and creativity to make this the most wowed airline in the sky, then we promise to make this a Company where inspired people like you will always love to work.
Main Purpose of the Role
A senior network engineer is primarily responsible for the configuration, implementation and on-going support of Virgin America’s LAN, WAN, and wireless services. The scope of this position includes network design, equipment selection & implementation and support for all network components including: MPLS, switches, routers, firewalls, network monitoring equipment, network sniffers, network analyzers, scanners, Unity voice mail, IP phones and network security.
Main Areas of Responsibility
Professional Experience Required
- 24x7 accountability for all aspects of Virgin America’s data, voice and wireless networks.
- Support day-to-day network activities, including:
- o Monitoring all systems. o Ensuring network performance goals are met. o Interfacing with other teams to scope and develop solutions for business needs.
- Installing, configuring and maintaining all network equipment.
- Manage new and existing vendor contracts, in conjunction with the Director of IT.
- Assist in the development of RFPs relating to network equipment and services.
- Maintain SLA monitoring and compliance reporting.
- Design, configure, implement and support Virgin America’s WAN, LAN and wireless environments. Ensure maximum network performance is available across the board.
- Ensure maximum network stability and availability across all local and remote networks.
- Analyze and resolve network hardware and software connectivity issues.
- Maintain network security through installation, configuration, and maintenance of L2/L3 access controls, firewalls, etc.
- Work closely with the Information Security team to lock down critical resources and to monitor all systems for breaches.
- Order new circuits as necessary and coordinate disconnects/moves of circuits with internal business contacts and outside vendors.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all network equipment, circuits, IP addresses.
- Maintain accurate network diagrams and associated documentation.
Skills & Abilities Required
- 5+ years managing and supporting sophisticated networks.
- 3+ years managing networks in a “production” operations setting where change control and stability are key drivers to success.
- 2+ years designing, architecting and deploying networks.
- 2+ years of experience with the following technologies:
- Routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, etc)
Job Requirements (e.g., travel, must be able to lift 50 pounds, etc.)
- Highly motivated, self-starter with the ability to use sound judgement when working with team members.
- Strong understanding of industry-standard change control methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to design, document, test, and deploy complex network infrastructure.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (both written and oral) and time management skills.
- Strong troubleshooting skills; candidates must be capable of analyzing and resolving complex technical problems.
- Ability to drive the evaluation, selection, deployment and use of monitoring tools for data, wireless and voice networks.
- Ability to work with multiple project and work streams concurrently, with an ability to deliver work products on time and within budget.
Professional Certifications and Education Required
- Occasional travel to Virgin America airport locations.
- CCNA certification required, CCIE certification preferred.
- CCISP is a plus!
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science / Management Information Systems or equivalent work experience preferred.
An offspring of Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group, Virgin America took flight just as high fuel prices and a recession rocked the...