We're looking for a sharp and passionate software engineer to join our team that builds and maintains ThinkGeek's highly-successful custom e-commerce platform.
US Citizenship or Green Card required. Telecommuting is not available.
This is a full time position in our Fairfax, VA office.
Founded in 1999, ThinkGeek is a close-knit group of fun and enthusiastic people who invent the coolest geek gadgets, such as the iCade, the playable electronic guitar t-shirt, and the taun-taun sleeping bag.
Much of our software is developed in-house, so projects will run a wide gamut of business areas (accounting to warehouse management, and everything in between). Development will be on an existing suite of software, so the ability to adapt to and extend an existing architecture is a must.
Main job responsibilities:
Skills & Experience:
- Develop highly-scalable and secure web applications designed to satisfy and engage both internal and external customers.
- Create and maintain a variety of technologies from AJAX based user interfaces to third-party XML business integration feeds.
- Participate in requirements and specifications gathering processes.
- Develop tests, predict areas of risk, and coordinate with our QA staff to achieve the best blend of error prevention and error detection possible.
- Take ownership of your projects from planning to stakeholder happiness.
For bonus points:
- 5+ years professional programming experience with Perl 5; Experience with Perl Best Practices and PerlCritic; Experience or familiarity with the following modules: Try::Tiny, Class::Load, XML::LibXML, Test::More, Test::Exception; Experience with creating unit tests.
- 4+ years professional experience working with relational databases (SQL), MySQL a plus in a highly transactional environment.
- General experience with MVC patterns, ORMs, Web Services (client/servers).
- HTML and CSS skills to create templates for web.
- Ability to comprehend and implement complex business requirements in an exacting manner.
- Effectively able to handle multiple priorities and manage time efficiently to deliver projects of varying size.
- Must have excellent communication skills both written and oral. Active listening is key as we seek to understand others’ views.
Geeknet is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or any other class protected by applicable state or federal law.
- Experience with Agile software development practices (e.g. Scrum, Lean/Kanban).
- Experience with Template Toolkit.
- Ability to train/mentor junior developers.
- Experience developing automated functional and performance testing suites.
- Linux knowledge.
- E-commerce experience.
- Published CPAN modules.
- Experience with a common Perl web framework, such as Catalyst, Dancer, or Mojolicious.
ThinkGeek - 4 months ago