Harman International Industries, Inc. is the worldwide leader in the manufacture of high-quality, high-fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. For more than 50 years, our legendary brands have taken a leading role in the creation and innovation of progressive technologies, from the world's first car radio in 1948 to today's most revolutionary infotainment systems.
Requisition Number: QLT1556
Job Title: Sr. Quality Engineer
Area of Interest: Quality
Career Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
City: Farmington Hills
State / Province: Michigan
Country: United States
Harman International Industries, Inc. is the worldwide leader in the manufacture of high-quality, high-fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. It is the parent company behind an array of legendary brands that includes Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson® and Infinity®.The Company has developed, both internally and through a series of acquisitions, a range of product offerings. It operates in three segments: Automotive, Consumer and Professional. The Automotive segment designs, manufactures and markets audio, electronic and infotainment systems for vehicle applications primarily to be installed as original equipment by automotive manufacturers. The Consumer segment designs, manufactures and markets audio, video and electronic systems for home, mobile and multimedia applications. The Professional segment designs, manufactures and markets loudspeakers and electronic systems used by audio professionals in concert halls, stadiums, airports, houses of worship and theme attractions. For more than 50 years, our legendary brands have taken a leading role in the creation and innovation of progressive technologies, from the world's first car radio in 1948 to today's most revolutionary infotainment systems.
- Lead AQP activities with customer and Harman manufacturing to PPAP parts by SOP.
- Support and maintain policies and practices related to manufacturing support of field failures at customer assembly plants and quality situations related to product application in vehicles.
- Responsible for field containment and rework activities, such as product software reflashing and assembly plant yard-hold management, which result from product issues already installed into vehicles.
- Represent Harman at customer meetings, conferences and training on behalf of the manufacturing plants and effectively deploy the information throughout the organization. Assure Harman is current with customer quality policies.
- Analyze, compile, review and regularly report customer quality metrics such as PPM/ 0km performance; develop presentations for quality reviews by both Harman and customer management groups.
- Responsible for gaining customer approvals for manufacturing process changes by providing supporting data for the change and submitting into customer required format.
- Lead problem analysis and improvement efforts by applying, training and encouraging the use of modern quality tools - such as FMEA, DOE, SPC, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing principles and Six-Sigma methodologies.
- Ensure information flow related to customer returns and warranty problems to appropriately address both design and manufacturing causes; and to facilitate awareness and deployment of countermeasures as lessons learned (Yokoten).
- Complete other projects and activities as assigned by Customer Quality Manager.
REQUIRED Specific Knowledge, Expertise, Coursework
- Quality Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering Knowledge - Knowledge of the principles and procedures related to Manufacturing Quality Engineering, electronic & mechanical manufacturing, statistical process control (SPC), problem solving and automotive production part approval process (PPAP). Knowledge of Ford, Chrysler, GM supplier portals and applications
REQUIRED Degree and/or Training, including specifically defined educational equivalent
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering disciplines, plus 5 years related experience in automotive, electronics or electromechanical manufacturing environment in lieu of Master's degree.
- At least 5 years of previous experience in Quality or Manufacturing Engineering.
- Experience with statistical methods, problem solving methodologies, PPAP, FMEA, and automotive quality management systems.
REQUIRED Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
PREFERRED Knowledge, Expertise, Coursework
- Manufacturing discipline, Electronics knowledge, ISO 14001 and TS 16949 policies
PREFERRED Degree and/or Training and specifically defined educational equivalents
- Masters degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering with 2 years related experience in Automotive, Electronics or Electromechanical Environment in lieu of Bachelors degree.
- ASQ, CQE, Six Sigma Green Belt
PREFERRED Specific Prior Experiences
- 5+ years of technical acoustic/electronic experience
REQUIRED Work Traits/Competencies
- Drive for Results, Team Player, Change Orientation, Customer Focus, Self Awareness, Enthusiastic, Reliable, Responsible, Dependable, Able to Plan & Organize, Cooperative, Self-Disciplined, Thorough, Achievement Oriented, Stress Tolerance, Project Management Skills, Presentation Skills, Listening Skills, and Communication Skills.
REQUIRED Skills and Abilities
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation preparation
- Must have valid driver's license
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Willingness to travel 25% of the time
- Willingness to work in an office in (Farmington Hills, MI)
- Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test
- 3 years ago - save job
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for consumers, automakers, and enterprises worldwide, including...