Basic Function and Scope of the Position:
The successful candidate will be responsible for administration and maintenance of production database servers, and will participate in the design of complex database systems, performance tuning and on-call support during off hours and weekends.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Experience in MS SQL Server installation and configuration.
- Participates in the creation and enforcement of architectural standards: security, availability, replication, storage, archive/purge, configuration management, metadata and data dictionary
- Participates in the creation and enforcement of database development standards and processes, including: naming, coding, database security, data access, documentation
- Initiates proactive solutions and enforces best practice approaches to problem solving and maintenance of database systems
- Monitors and optimizes system performance using index tuning, disk optimization, partitioning and other methods
- Responsible for backups, recovery, and disaster recovery processes
- Responsible for providing and reviewing trend analysis and make informed decisions regarding resource management.
- Performs logical and physical data modeling
- Develops reliable and efficient database code to support enterprise reporting
- Implements complex database solutions to support business needs
Desired Additional Skills:
- Strong troubleshooting skills for resolving various performance issues and tuning.
- Expert-level knowledge of database design, implementation, transaction processing, referential integrity, performance tuning and monitoring with an emphasis in MS SQL
- Exceptional data modeling, relational database design, and ability to create and implement physical databases from logical data models
- Experience with developing and managing high availability database systemssolutions: replication, clustering, mirroring, log shipping
- EReal life experience with very large databases and data warehousing
- Experience with database virtualization
- Demonstrated exceptional data-access coding skills: T-SQL, PL/SQL, indexing, stored procedures, triggers, functions, views, SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS.
- Hands-on knowledge of database backup and recovery methods and tools (SQL native, Oracle RMAN, Idera, etc)
- Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to translate information and develop insights
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to lead working groups, negotiate and create consensus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to engage with senior management
Preferred Educational Background:
- MySQL and, Oracle, PostgreSQL experience is a plus
- Familiarity with VMWare or other virtualization platforms
- BA/BS Degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience with database maintenance and management, data/process analysis and modeling, logical and physical database design and development., and database maintenance and management.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Ability to take a broad view of his/her position and take initiative to communicate, interact and cooperate with others
- Ability to work as a member of a team and independently
Illumina, Inc. - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...