Requisition ID: 68570
- Organization: Power
- Location: Frederick, MD
Provide computational, technical writing, and licensing support for the development of earthquake design parameters for nuclear power plants and a wide range of other project facilities under applicable regulatory requirements. Emphasis is on characterization of design ground motions/loads for seismic design input from a geoscience and geotechnical engineering perspective rather than from a structural/civil design perspective. Contribute to memos, calculations, and reports developing deterministic and probabilistic estimates of seismic design parameters. In addition, support engineering geology and geotechnical investigations as needed. Contribute to memos, calculations, and reports developing deterministic and probabilistic estimates of seismic design parameters. The successful candidate will be thoroughly familiar with the new CEUS SSC model report and its PSHA applications and regulatory implications. Must be capable of developing or supervising the development of a software code to implement the use of the new CEUS SSC model within Bechtel in accordance with Nuclear Quality Assurance requirements. Attend meetings with regulatory agencies and clients. Publish and participate in conferences and code & industry committees, supervise, mentor and develop younger professionals. Experience with seismic margin analysis (SMA) and seismic probabilistic risk analysis (SPRA).
Required Skills Seismology and Geophysics: Experience with Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis (PSHA). In particular, able to develop seismic design parameters within the context of a PSHA. Proficiency in performing statistically robust magnitude and recurrence analysis of seismicity data to develop earthquake catalogs. Familiarity with recent editions of applicable codes (such as ASCE 7-10), standards (such as NRC Regulatory Guides), and regulations (such as those in the Codes of Federal Regulations governing the design and licensing of nuclear power plants) for characterization of seismic design input. Familiarity with fundamental elastic wave propagation theory. Experience with preparation for, and interaction during, technical meetings with expert consultants and regulatory personnel. Has written and presented science and industry technical papers at professional meetings.
· M.S. degree or Ph.D. in the Geosciences or Geotechnical/Earthquake Engineering (Ph.D. preferred).
· A minimum of fifteen (15) years industry experience with earthquake design ground motion input preferred.
· Must demonstrate above average verbal and written skills to communicate with team in preparation of reports, memos, calculations and other documentation.
· Must be proficient with word processing and spreadsheet software.
· Should be able to work effectively on teams whose members reside in several distributed offices and whose interaction is most frequently by phone or email.
· Should have programming experience in Matlab, Fortran, Visual Basic and/or C++.
· Standing in the industry demonstrated by publication of technical papers in conference proceedings and refereed journals, technical presentations at conferences, membership in technical committees in the areas of Seismology or Geotechnical/Earthquake Engineering, presentations to industry groups such as NEI, and interaction, including person-to-person with regulatory agencies (including the NRC).
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).
Bechtel (www.bechtel.com) is a global engineering, construction and project management company with more than a century of experience on...