Rearden Commerce , creator of the Deem™ commerce platform, is transforming commerce on behalf of buyers and sellers. Through a suite of interoperable smart applications, the Deem platform is designed to leverage big data, analytics and semantics technology to optimize the exchange of goods, services, and information with personalization and repeat value to drive customer loyalty. Deem is distributed globally by more than 40 strategic partners including American Express and JPMorgan Chase — connecting millions of consumers and over 35,000 business customers across every market segment to more than 1.2 million merchants. Rearden Commerce is headquartered in Foster City, California.
The Deem commerce platform is designed to connect buyers and sellers via Absolute Relevance™ technology. Deem leverages big data, social collaboration, game-mechanics, semantics and advanced machine learning to optimize the exchange of goods, services and information between buyers and sellers, resulting in the web's most personalized one-to-one marketplace.
In this position you will own all the production development on Rearden’s Hadoop cluster, currently maintained on Amazon EC2. Applications primarily include conversion and maintenance of predictive models into production and on-going development of our Sentiment Scoring Engine in MapReduce (MR) code on Hadoop. The ideal candidate will combine world class creative problem solving skills and the ability to understand how data and the analysis thereof informs algorithms, with very strong Java development skills.
- Work with Data Science and the Relevance Engine team to convert machine-learned models (on sampled data) to production MR code on all the data.
- Work with the Semantics Team to continue to expand the Sentiment Scoring Engine into additional content domains (Currently covers hotel reviews and restaurant reviews).
- Other ad hoc Analytics initiatives as needed.
- Advanced Java development skills, with an architectural mindset.
- Education knowledge (Hadoop) internship - Hadoop, MapReduce and HBase experience or an aptitude and interest in learning it a strong plus. Pig scripting experience also a plus.
- Experience working with and integrating with Natural Language Processing tools in a production environment or an aptitude and interest in learning it a strong plus.
- Machine learning or data mining/Olap online analytic processing (written applications)
- Experience developing and maintaining production web crawlers or an aptitude and interest in learning it a strong plus.
- CS degree and minimum 2-3 years of solid experience developing Java apps on Linux required. Advanced degree or direct experience in any of the above preferred.