It’s been said that if you build it, they will come. We are the people who build it, leveraging cutting-edge, open-source technologies such as JQuery, Closure, HTML5, Hadoop, MongoDB and CouchDB to do so. If you want to be a driving force in taking the Internet to the next level, integrating new ways to communicate and distribute information and connect to every product, service and system throughout AOL, then this is the team for you.
Are you interested in working on a platform that has a billion hits a month? How about in a day? Or an hour? Yeah! We’ve done that, and will do it again and again. AOL is looking for an all-around superstar to work on the Blogsmith platform, which powers sites like Engadget, Autoblog, Joystiq and many others.
How We Work…
Our Developers typically own the entire process, from concept to architecture, implementation, testing, pushing live to support and maintenance. We don’t get orders from above, hide in the corner and code for a while, then lob it over the fence for testing and consider our job done. In our eyes, Quality Assurance is a matter of personal pride versus mandated testing…although it is important to understand that typos in pushed code can BRING DOWN EMPIRES! We also work very closely with OPS and our DBAs to help plan and tune all parts of the application.
Our extended team is a tight group but spread out over a few locations. We are also customer facing so you will work directly with our customers as well as the product team rather than hide behind them. Our customers are working in the same department but they have a completely different set of priorities which makes our environment unique. We have a daily support call that is light and generally used to help customers and catch up with the rest of the team. These meetings are critical to the success of team so we look for folks who enjoy and understand the importance of camaraderie.
What you bring to the table…
You have A LOT of experience with high volume sites, preferably in environments with multiple data centers and very high traffic.
- PHP expertise with at least a billion years in a commercial environment with a very good grounding in OO and MVC frameworks (although this is more for depth of knowledge rather than being given a Zend instance.) Not an OOP purist, does procedural just as well when appropriate.
- You understand how to architect for performance and reliability. Milliseconds count. Do you know how to refactor? Do you know the difference between readable and unreadable code?
- You are good with Apache - configuring modules, securing, and tuning for performance. We have an amazing OPS team, but it helps if you speak their language.
- You know MySQL very well and have experience with large data sets. We also have an amazing DBA team, but again, it’s helpful to be able to hold your own with them.
- You are familiar with version control, specifically git.
Show us your stuff…
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field with 5-7 years of directly related experience
We want to see how awesome you are so please share as many of these that you have: your github account, stackoverflow profile, twitter handle, portfolio website, code samples, early childhood drawings, links to things you've built and descriptions of how you contributed and of course, your resume.
Oh, and we don't want a ninja, we need developers that like to be seen and heard.
At AOL we’re focused on radically redefining the world of online communications. We are transforming how people around the globe connect with information, entertainment and one another by bringing together award winning journalists and innovative technologies to create rich and engaging consumer experiences. We look for people who are exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly excited about our mission - to inform, entertain and connect the world.
AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
AOL - 19 months ago
Though it's no longer a part of Time Warner, AOL is still serving America online. The Web portal serves users with an array of content...