Display backplane circuit design lead for the development of a low power MEMS display to be produced on LCD industry standard processes. Coordinating and assigning design, simulation and evaluation tasks across a team of 5 design engineers. The Backplane Circuit Design Lead does design, simulation, testing and verification of both analog and digital Thin Film Transistor circuits in Amorphous Silicon, Low Temperature Polycrystalline Silicon and IGZO processes for use in MEMS control circuits on display backplanes. Analysis of system operation, including defining and running analytical models and circuit simulations. Specify, implement and coordinate systems and procedures for robust design, simulation and verification of backplane circuit designs.
Laboratory experiments and measurements on the circuits using a variety of standard and custom lab equipment is required. The Design Lead will test, validate, trouble shoot and debug circuit performance. The Design Lead interacts closely with the rest of the electronics team, the MEMs design team, the optics design team, external mixed signal ASIC vendors, customers, and partners, and will need to travel internationally.
- Lead the display backplane design effort, making sure industry best practices are followed at each step of the design, simulation and verification process.
- Implement industry best known tools and practices for circuit design
- Effectively work in multi-disciplinary teams to help improve the MEMS display performance.
- Invent and design backplane circuits for displays using Thin Film Transistor on glass technology.
- Simulate and optimize circuit designs.
- Review and evaluate backplane circuit layouts.
- Evaluate and characterize circuit performance. Compare results to simulations and improve modeling capabilities to better match actual devices.
- Trouble shoot and debug circuit boards and test platforms.
- Definition of panel requirements:
- Convert applicable product requirements to panel requirements
- Pixel operating voltages, peripheral routing resistance, connections to ASIC, test pixels, uniformity, border limitations etc
- TFT requirements
- Define driver IC requirements associated with panel drive
- Voltage swings, drive currents / output impedances etc
- Define and maintain panel and driver system budgets:
- Voltage, Power, Timing
- System-level panel simulations
- Includes panel and simple models for drivers
- Top-level Panel schematics
- International Travel required: 10%-15%
A prove track record of designing integrated circuit products and brining them to market is required. The ability to implement rigorous design and verification practices will be a key to leading the design effort. Understanding of MOS device physics and transistor modeling for analog and digital simulations is important. Experience with analog circuit design necessary. A Physics background is an advantage due to the multi-disciplinary quality of the MEMS involved. Although a solid analog circuits capability is necessary, the circuitry is not complicated. However, it has many facets that interact and power reduction techniques need to be constantly kept in mind. A broader interest and capability range is more desired rather than a deep, narrow, specialty. Ability to understand systems and how the parts interact is needed. Industry experience designing backplanes for LCD and/or OLED displays would be helpful. The curiosity to ask Why? and the motivation to pursue the answer is important. Must be able to work in a dynamic environment and be effective with only moderate supervision.
- 15+ years experience in analog circuit design, simulation, testing and verification
- Implementation and use of design systems and methods is required
- Experience with LCD or OLED backplane design is a strong plus
- Experience with LCD display electronics or electro-optic systems is a strong plus
- Very experienced and comfortable in using lab equipment: Probe stations, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, signal generators, multimeters, etc.
- Understanding of analog electronics: Op amps, transistors, etc.
- Basic digital system skills
- Exposure to designing and fabrication of printed circuit board(s)
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization as well as with customers and vendors is required
- Availability to travel to Asia up to 15% time is required
- Successful candidate will need to be able to communicate effectively and keep well organized files and data.
Required: Bachelor's, Electrical Engineering
Preferred: Master's, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
Qualcomm - 16 months ago
QUALCOMM Incorporated, incorporated in 1985, designs, manufactures and markets digital wireless telecommunications products and services...