This position is for a highly motivated Senior Staff level engineer with proven experience in Mechanical Systems Engineering . You will be responsible for the design, development, technical management and verification of complex mechanical and liquid handling systems to automate the biochemistry protocols for whole human genome sequencing. You will be a key member of a team of engineers, scientists and third party collaborators focused on developing and qualifying these technologies for the Complete Genomics sequencing platforms. This position will work in our Mountain View, CA facility.
In addition to strong engineering skills, the successful candidate will have a proven background in systems engineering, technical project management, excellent collaboration and communication skills and a willingness to do what it takes to meet commitments and stakeholders’ needs. Experience in analytical life sciences instrumentation and/or semiconductor capital equipment would be a good background for the requirements of this position.
Mechanical Systems Integration:
- Design and development of electromechanical systems, pneumatics and fluidics
- Mechanical positioning, fluidic coupling and environmental control of microfluidic biochips
- Interface between multiple liquid handling systems
- Precision fluid delivery of a variety of reagents in a defined protocol
- Industrial scale (light factory) automation
- Automated manipulation and shuttling of biochips between discrete modules within a large system
- Oversee, monitor, coordinate, and communicate the activities of development partners to meet project deliverables
- Oversee creation and organization of the 3D CAD models for the entire system; eventual transfer of a complete documentation package to Documentation Control (Operations) at the point of Design Transfer
- Manage the engineering change process to ensure validated and complete implementation of necessary design changes to the system and system documentation
Design Controls and Regulatory knowledge (desired):
- Working with Project Management, Quality and Regulatory to identify all critical compliance requirements, project milestones and their interdependencies
- Definition of critical interface parameters
- Assessment of system level risks, and proposing, evaluating and implementing mitigations
- Collaborate with internal and external engineering and scientific groups as needed to ensure an integrated design that meets the system requirements
- Work as a key member of the Verification and Validation team to qualify the performance of the fully integrated system
- Familiar with 21 CFR 820.30 requirements for Design Controls, EN 61010 and EN 60601 3 rd ed. and EN 14975
- BS (MS preferred) in mechanical engineering or similar education and 15+ years of related experience
- 5+ years of system integration or project management experience leading teams of technical professionals
- Solid understanding of engineering fundamentals and analytical methods
- 5+ years of experience with solid-modeling software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience in the development of complex, precision mechanical systems from concept through production
- Experience with microfluidics and automated liquid handling a plus
- Experience in managing third party development groups and suppliers – Specifically concerning specifications and requirements, deliverables and milestones, cost and schedules
- Design for Safety, Reliability, Manufacturing and Service of high duty cycle, continuous operation electromechanical and fluidics systems
- Experience designing for high volume manufacturing techniques – tooling, fixturing and molding
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Complete Genomics - 7 months ago
Complete Genomics was formed in 2005 by Dr. Clifford A. Reid and Dr. Radoje T. Drmanac, who shared a vision to provide academic and...