SR. TAX ACCOUNTANT - SALES TAX
Zale Corporation is a leading specialty retailer of fine jewelry in North America, operating approximately 1,800 retail locations throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, as well as online. Zale Corporation’s portfolio of brands includes Zales Jewelers, Zales Outlet, Gordon's Jewelers, Peoples Jewellers, Mappins Jewellers, and Piercing Pagoda.
Zale Corporation offers exciting career opportunities in each of the Zale businesses. We look for bright, enthusiastic and performance-driven people to join our team and become an important part of our future.
With an exceptional assortment of jewelry and gifts, our brands are famous for helping turn important milestones and celebrations into priceless, life-long memories. The Tax Department is integral to the ongoing support of our brands.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for state sales and use tax accounting and compliance activities, short-term research
- Relating to tax accounting matters, and oversight of state audits.
- Prepare and/or review state sales and use tax returns, data manipulation and support for monthly compliance activities.
- Create monthly state and local tax accrual journal entries, and reconcile payable accounts and reserve balances.
- Prepare/review state sales tax payments.
- Perform tax system maintenance.
- Respond to internal and external customers on sales and use tax issues.
- Oversee state audits and respond to information requests in a timely manner.
- Correspond with taxing authorities regarding assessments, delinquencies, licensing requirements, electronic filing/payment requirements, and rate changes.
- Research state and Canada taxing issues.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or the equivalent.
- 4-5 years of relevant, progressive experience in all areas of sales and use taxation and/or audit support.
- Prior experience with account reconciliations, journal entries, tax rate maintenance, and research projects desired.
- Strong knowledge of tax compliance concepts and preparation of complex returns.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills to include effective time management in all key responsibilities of the job.
- Proficiency in the use of PC software tools for reports, analysis and audits.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, & Access).
- Experienced with tax return compliance software and tax research tools (RIA, CCH, etc.)
- Ability to establish positive working relationships across the organization.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
Zale Corporation - 17 months ago