Suits Optional... ...
Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering® Trading Card Game and Dungeons & Dragons® Role-Playing Games has an exciting opportunity for a SR. TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGER / PRODUCER to join our team. Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position.
Launched in 2002, Magic: The Gathering Online is the official online edition of the world’s most popular trading card game. Magic Online allows players to collect and trade virtual cards, build the perfect deck and find opponents at all skill levels – all from the comfort of their own homes. For more information on Wizards of the Coast and Magic: The Gathering Online, visit www.wizards.com.
We offer competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and the excitement of working in a creative organization. But the best part of working here is that we think creating products that bring hours of enjoyment to millions around the globe is an inherently cool way to earn a living.
Lead, supervise, and support internal and external resources including partners, vendors, and licensee relationships in order to publish digital products and projects related to the development of advanced customer data management services and online account systems for Wizards of the Coast.
Function effectively in a dynamic environment; hit the ground running by utilizing industry knowledge of commercial-grade, technology services development and problem-solving talents, set clear technology direction and lead all functional teams to deliver applications, products, and services in scope, on time, and within budget.
1 to 8 direct reports
- Project Managers
- Development leads and QA Supervisors leads
Other Key Relationships:
VP of Technology, Directors – Software Development & Live Operations, Brand, R&D and Web Publishing; various members of Technology, Production, Project Management, Brand, Marketing, and legal.
Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities:
People and Resources
- Interfaces and communicates effectively with Development, Brand Management, Sales & Game Support, Organized Play, Technology Services, and R&D, as well as external partners, vendors, and licensees on a regular basis
- Works with internal and external resources to create in-depth product design documents and develop realistic production schedules with detailed milestones
- Manages workflow and resource scheduling for the product and project Development, QA, Build Engineering, and Business Teams as the product moves through the project phases
- Makes day-to-day decisions on product content and design based on input from key stakeholders
- Gathers input and provides accurate game quality evaluations and detailed recommendations
- Reviews products for spec requirements, business process changes, quality, and progress
- Reports product development status to upper management and manages release activities
- Remains aware of current market trends within the customer data privacy, PII, PCI compliance, distributed networks, and online customer account systems (including patterns and customer requirements) in the U.S. and other countries. Uses this knowledge to work on new and innovative products and services
- Participates with Development Manager to enforce best practices in software development methodology and to ensure content is properly documented and stored in departmental workflow repository
- Manages roadmap for customer data management roadmap, including the future development requirements for subsequent feature deployment to the account services.
- Provides input to junior producers, leads, and other team members
- Plans budgetary items such as project headcount, training, hardware, and software
- Provides reasonable estimates of time and materials required to complete project vision
- and scope goals outlined by Producers and Senior Management
- Identifies and prioritizes the key issues that must be addressed for projects to succeed
- Works with teams to identify, analyze, and resolve project problems
- Conducts progress and deliverable reviews during development and adjusts scope and schedule accordingly
- Manages requirements and specifications
- Leads staff working with cross-functional teams to ensure successful requirements management for the project
- Works closely with other managers and project leads to ensure that the entire project life cycle is a quality process
Tools and Technology
- Drives the use of standards
- Participates in Business process review and redesign
- Implements and tracks related process improvement efforts
- Identifies and communicates organizational and process solutions to mitigate risks
- Establishes processes and work assignments
- Identifies leading-edge techniques and methodologies for their area of expertise
- Serves as liaison with other teams’ Business and Technical management
- Submits weekly and monthly communiqués to stakeholders
- Project Management Software
- Content Management Systems
- CRM Tools
- Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Project or program budgets
- P&L forecasting and management for a single major product or several small products totaling up to $15M in annual revenue
- Provides data for Senior Business Manager and Director regarding product P&L
- Works with Finance on viability for new contracts/products and creates P&L forecasting for new ventures
- Controls costs/resources under their responsibility (has product budget responsibility, not authority)
- Supports P&L responsibility and building financial models as well as managing budgets up to $2M
Education and Training:
- As a Technical Project Manager, successfully shipped at least 3-5 major customer data management and/or online account systems as commercial-grade services
- 2-4 years working as a Producer, or similar, managing external and internal development teams and/or production management teams
- 2-4 years business development or licensor/licensee relations experience
- 2-4 years experience with project budgetary processes, profit, loss, and return on investment required
- Experience with an asset control system such as CVS or Perforce required
- Experience with project management software such as Microsoft Project or similar required
Prior Related Experience:
- BA or BS preferred. MBA or Masters is ideal. However, five or more years of game industry or technology production experience would be an acceptable substitution
- Must have a deep understanding of Wizards major Brand or Brands and overall product management processes for Brand and product management within the spectrum of the Digital organization’s development processes
- Highly capable with requirements analysis, software development, databases, hardware, quality assurance, and technology operations
- Experience reconciling iterative software development with a waterfall project methodology, or combination of waterfall and agile (network, infrastructure, or widely cross-functional) is highly desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- International projects / teams experience preferred
- Experience aligning retail and digital marketing, and analog and digital play experiences
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
For more information about careers at Hasbro become a fan on Facebook , follow us on Twitter and join our careers group on LinkedIn .
J2W Posting Code:
Wizards of the Coast
Wizards Of The Coast - 2 years ago
Wizards of the Coast has built a house of cards. The company, a unit of toy behemoth Hasbro, is best known for trading card game Magic: The...