In this position, you will underwrite new and renewal business which includes solicitation, selection, rejection, and pricing of complex risks. Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules, and insurance laws and regulations. Analyze quality and quantity of risks underwritten and prepare reports accordingly. Participate in the development of agency management strategy and contribute to the development and execution of agency plans. Develop client relationships and coordinates service team efforts. Provide technical guidance to coworkers. Through technical collaboration and guidance, work within established authority on assignments of increasing complexity. Geographic territory includes New York and adjacent states.
- Effectively identify, market and underwrite prospective accounts in targeted industries
- Direct and monitor underwriting activities as required to produce positive profit and expense results within area of responsibility
- Develop strong relationships with local Brokers/Agents and effectively articulate PMA's appetite. Solicit, review, and coordinate new business opportunities with agents and service team
- Demonstrate high level of planning and organizational skills to effectively manage workload and outside activities
- Exhibit high levels of teamwork, leadership, customer service, and persistence
- Provide strong analytical ability, and sound judgment to make informed and accurate decisions
- Show initiative to handle territorial assignments, developing individual plans for successfully meeting key goals
- Consult with Risk Control and Claims Representatives to bring value-added service to customers
- Develop business plan with each assigned agent for profitability of book, growth, and renewal strategies
- Provide feedback to agents, producers, and internal management to focus on business plans and efficiencies.
As a leader in the property and casualty insurance industry with multiple locations, our clients choose PMA Companies because we understand that excellent service begins with our employees. Our working relationships with clients are marked by professionalism, execution and accountability and our company culture is centered on teamwork. This combination has created a supportive work environment that encourages personal and professional growth.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required - MBA and/or CPCU preferred
- Seven years experience in Commercial Lines Property/Casualty underwriting
- Strong technical skills in Workers Compensation, Property, General Liability, Automobile, and Umbrella
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills
- Self-motivated individual with a proven track record of premium growth and profitability in handling a book of business
- Superior marketing skills and familiarity working with agents and brokers of all types.
We offer a very competitive compensation package including a 401(k) with dollar for dollar match on the first 5% of salary, tuition reimbursement and much more!