Sr. User Experience Designer
Location: San Mateo, CA
AtHoc, founded in 1999, is the pioneer and recognized market leader in next-generation emergency communications software for the security and safety market. Fundamental to our mission at AtHoc is the development of innovative products used for the critical endeavor of saving lives.
We’re seeking dedicated, bright and highly motivated team players who want to make a difference and share in our accomplishments and passion. We provide a culture that encourages different perspectives and new ways of thinking toward a common, aligned goal and shared vision: to bring innovative solutions to market and advance the safety, security, and protection of people and property around the world.
Join a principled customer-focused team that is transforming an industry and has earned the trust of hundreds of customers and millions of users within the U.S. military, federal government, homeland security agencies, healthcare, fortune 500 companies and higher education institutions. At AtHoc, we recognize that the talent and drive of our people is a vital key to our continued success.
For more information on AtHoc, please visit
AtHoc is seeking a Sr. User Experience Designer who will be responsible for creating great user experiences for several members of the AtHoc product family. You will work collaboratively with fellow teammates within the User Experience group to conceptualize, design, and prototype ideas, and in turn, inspire those in Product Management, Engineering and Quality Engineering to develop award-winning products.
For the user experience designer role, you must be quick-witted and passionate about designing products the right way for the people who use them. This means you’re also good at:
- Understanding the complex systems, processes, and relationships of people and products.
- Creatively solving problems at all levels of detail: from the big picture to the nuts and bolts
- Presenting your work before a room of curious and sometimes skeptical developers, interested, and sometimes demanding marketers; as well as time-challenged and sometimes impatient executives.
- Constantly learning. You’re as interested in what concerns stakeholders as you are in understanding what delights surgeons, commodities traders, teenagers, and purchasing agents.
- Being decisive. You value feedback but don’t require it to make a judgment call.
- Working collaboratively. We believe the exchange of ideas among the members of small, nimble teams is the fastest route to the best solutions.
- Empathizing. Our design method is built around satisfying the needs and motivations of people. If you want to make things better, we want you.
- Representing the "User Experience," translating customer requirements into defined specifications and inspire the Engineering team to develop the right product.
- Owning the design of the most impactful user interface - related features and participating in the product definition process with the Product Manager, Engineering Manager, and User Research.
- Significantly influencing product strategy and direction.
- Working with User Research and Product Manager to translate business and marketing goals into the best software solutions for our business.
- Developing and maintaining design mockups, usage scenarios, prototypes, specifications, navigation maps and other design documents.
- Working with feature development teams to make sure the workflow reflects the customer's needs and ensure consistency among features.
- Developing expert-level knowledge of competitive and complementary products and bringing new ideas to the team.
- Defining innovative user interfaces and interaction styles that result in improved user productivity.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to:
- 6 - 10 years of experience
- High degree of creativity, interaction design and problem-solving ability
- Uncanny drive to design the best user experience in the world
- Strong software design communication skills. (Ability to communicate one’s ideas through design)
- Proven track record and a passion for designing compelling, award-winning user interfaces
- Excellent presentation skills and attention to detail
- Experience working with various departments within a product team
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- A great portfolio of work; samples of interaction design work is a must
- A formal education in Interaction Design, Product Design, Industrial Design, HCI, Architecture, or related field from NID / IDC or equivalent would help
- Expertise in visual design tools like Photoshop, Illustrator is expected
- Prototyping skills using Flash, Flex, Dreamweaver and /or the knowledge of imaging / video domain applications is a definite plus
The AtHoc partner program focuses on marketing and reselling notifications solutions for emergency notifications, force...