Carnegie Mellon University is seeking to add a Senior Virtualization Technology Engineer to our Storage and Virtualization team within our Infrastructure Services Group, Computing Services Division. A Senior Virtualization Technology Engineer is responsible for the following:
- Designs, builds, deploys, maintains and troubleshoots virtualized guest and host systems
- Provides technical expertise and leadership in a large virtualization environment
- Provides secure virtual infrastructure systems
- Identifies, documents and prioritizes new tools/procedures needed to run and manage the environment
- Streamlines the VM lifecycle
- Identifies key performance and build criteria
- Assesses hardware and software needs for all virtualized systems
The successful candidate must have a track record of delivering excellent customer satisfaction and will also contribute to the Application Virtualization environment with needs assessment, infrastructure development, production support and troubleshooting.
- Education: Bachelor of Science in Information Science, Computer Science, Software Engineering or other relevant field (i.e., scientific, technical, engineering) or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Two or more years’ experience, including deep knowledge of various operating systems
- Shell scripting experience
- Experience with SAN technologies
- Basic TCP/IP knowledge
- Experience with server and application virtualization products and technologies
- Experience delivering concrete, high quality results on projects while under time pressure.
- Planning and organizational skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Work both independently and with teams
- Meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks - sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities
- Ability to grasp the big picture and develop and communicate innovative ideas
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Physical Mobility: Ability to sit for extended periods
- Environmental Conditions: Close contact with computer display for prolonged periods
- Mental: Ability to work under pressure; meet inflexible deadlines
- Other: Some evening, weekend, and on-call hours will be required. Some travel may also be required.
- Education: Masters Degree in Computer Science or scientific/technical field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Five years’ experience, ideally with VMware products including VMware server and ESX
- Experience with complex iSCSI SAN (EMC) environments
- Experience with Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop environments
- Experience with routing, switching, and VLANs
- Disaster recovery and business continuity planning experience.
Regular Full Time
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES (COMP SVCS)
Minimum Education Level
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...