Sr. Software Engineer, Pen Systems
Livescribe is a privately held, venture-funded, consumer-electronics company that is blazing new trails in the area of digital speech and handwriting and is changing the way people write, learn and communicate. Livescribe products enable consumers to capture handwriting and speech, integrate them as one interactive medium, and share the result with other people, applications or services – directly from pen, paper or tablet, to the Web or other Internet-connected devices. Check out this quick video for a glimpse into our products: http://cnettv.cnet.com/take-better-notes-livescribe-echo-smartpen/9742-1_53-50129234.html
This is a key senior technical contribution role within our Pen Software Team designing and developing the embedded software for Livescribe’s current and future Smartpens and tablet companion products. We are seeking an expert systems engineer with strong software design skills, who has hands-on experience with the development of networking and communications products and has a passion for innovation in embedded mobile systems.
The successful candidate will have previously shipped products into the consumer electronics industry and will be able to make an immediate impact in an Agile, high performance and cross-functional product team. They will have demonstrated prior experience with embedded development tools, ideally for ARM-based processors, will understand hardware interfaces, power management techniques and can lead system bring-up. Previous experience with wireless systems development (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, other…) is highly desirable as is previous experience delivering embedded J2ME applications.
- Lead the technical design of future generations of our Smartpen OS for multiple processor platforms. Understand the current design and map out a technical roadmap to ensure reliability, flexibility and scalability across multiple environments.
- Key Technical contributor designing and implementing software for existing and future Smartpens that can drive and expand the future of digital speech and handwriting.
- Contribute to an international high performance development team; engage cross functionally to ensure that designs and development satisfy product requirements, ensure customer quality and are delivered on time.
- Apply your knowledge of object oriented technologies and designs in the development of flexible architectures and APIs.
- Demonstrate technical and execution competence and the ability to take ownership of projects from early stage design through development and deployment.
- Ensure robustness and correctness of the system by applying best test practices and by promoting the use of those practices within the broader engineering team.
- Help the team to drive the analysis and resolution of key quality issues and performance problems impacting design and production.
Nice To Have:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related discipline (or equivalent experience)
- 10+ years programming with C/C++; J2ME and mobile applications experience is desirable
- 5-7 years experience developing for network-connected, embedded systems (preferably ARM) and a track record of releasing commercial products; experience developing wireless systems is highly desirable including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Experience designing system APIs and infrastructure; experience with HAL (hardware abstraction layer) designs is highly desirable
- Demonstrated understanding of the software development lifecycle and software development tools (source control, defect tracking systems)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, especially in multilayered application stacks
- Ability to do basic hardware debugging using oscilloscope and DMM
- Strong working knowledge of file systems and storage devices
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams
- Expert knowledge of communication protocols (HTTP, TCP/IP, Wireless, BT)
- Experience with USB and other embedded device drivers
Compensation packages include competitive salaries and stock incentives. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with easy access from 880 and a free shuttle from BART. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Experience in an Agile team with at least two commercial product releases
- Experience with Test Driven Development methodologies and frameworks
- Experience with power management of battery operated devices
- Experience working with one or more requirements management tools
- Experience with audio codecs, audio file formats, and DSP algorithms
- Experience with wireless devices and protocols