Common Sense Media is the national nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology.
We are seeking an experienced and talented Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable , to join the Common Sense Finance and Administration team. This position is based in the SOMA district of San Francisco.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
This is a hands-on role, requiring significant project management and cross-team collaboration. Nonprofit experience and current hands on experience with the MIP accounting system is required. You will be:
- Responsible for the entire accounts payable cycle, including the coding, entering, and posting vendor invoices and employee expense reports.
- Processing all payments: checks, electronic bank transfers, domestic and international wires.
- Assist the finance team with the month-end closing process, audit preparation and fieldwork, reconciliations, and grant reporting. Reconciliations include, but are not limited to: Accounts Payable, Prepaid Expenses, Prepaid Insurance, Deferred Rent, Capital Leases, and Accrued Expenses.
- Review and management of vendor consulting agreements and files, create and maintain Purchase Orders, and function as the main contact for vendors.
- Responsible for the preparation, filing, and distribution of 1099s
- Assisting the finance team with the monitoring and continuing review of internal controls.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
WHAT WE OFFER
- Minimum of 3 years of accounts payable experience with a nonprofit organization that receives contributed income (pledges, contributions, foundation and corporate grant awards) AND current working knowledge with the MIP Accounting software is a must
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is a Plus
- Proven proficiency in MS Excel and MS Word
- Highly organized, great attention to detail and follow through
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- A passion Common Sense Media’s mission
- A chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Competitive salary
- A rich suite of health, welfare and lifestyle benefits
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please forward your resume, a meaningful cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note “ Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable ” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.