As a team member of the accounting department, responsibilities will include, data mining, account reconciliations, sale tax support , preparation of journal entries, maintain and update the Professional Services workbook as well as assist with the annual audit and provide supporting financial schedules.
The following allocations of responsibilities are general guidelines; additional duties will be performed as assigned by your manager.
I. General Ledger Functions 50%
Month End Process
- On a monthly basis, prepare the Professional Services workbook, including the gross margin reports by product line; the educational workshops summary sheet; and the professional services detailed worksheets for review by your manager and inclusion in the monthly financial package by the 5th day of each month.
- Prepare monthly revenue recognition journal entry and professional services gross margin reports for review by your manager.
- Collaborate with Accounts Payable and Payroll to ensure that all costs are appropriately captured and recognized on a monthly basis.
- Prepare assigned Account Reconciliations and submit to your manager for her review by the 10th day of each month.
- Prepare assigned monthly journal entries related to the close process, including general ledger adjustments, accruals and other recurring journal entries on the accounting system
- Assist in maintenance of the journal entry log and binders.
- Create, maintain and support Activity / Billing and Revenue setup for CPP-US and the subsidiaries.
II. Professional Services 30%
- In Collaboration with Staff Accountant III, reconcile the Fixed Assets subsystem to the General Ledger system.
- Review tracking of purchase, sale or disposition of assets and calculation of gain or loss on those transactions for review by your manager.
- Collaborate with Facilities, IS and payroll to ensure that items transferred between cost centers and items disposed of are properly adjusted on the BNA Fixed Asset system.
- Ensure fixed assets are properly tracked by location to support property tax returns.
- Prepare of the depreciation expense journal entry on a monthly basis and submit it to Accounting Director for review.
- Prepare Fixed Asset Rollforward Schedule and Reconciliation on a monthly basis.
III. Activities Support 15%
- Partner with the Professional Services Account Owners to ensure that all signed contracts have completed the processing cycle, from Billing Form to Invoice generation.
- Partner with Accounts Payable and Independent Subcontractors throughout the process, from proposal stage to payment stage, to ensure that the costs of all professional services engagements are reflected accurately within the professional services workbook and subcontractors are paid within contract terms.
- Collaborate with the Sales department on the tracking of the Education Workshops and Certification Programs for revenue and cost recognition to ensure that all revenues and related costs are captured accurately and appropriately at month-end.
- Partner with Order Processing to update the Professional Services Pipeline report on a monthly basis and report on the status of all engagements to your manager.
IV. Other Duties 5%
- Generate reports for cost center managers from Activities Module.
- Setup and maintain Activities as requested for All Entities.
Salary Range: $60k - $70k
- Provide support to the Staff Accountants as needed including ad-hoc reports.
- Act as a backup for AP Specialist.
- Provide support to Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable as needed.
- Any other special projects as assigned your manager and the Controller.
Technical Skills - Possesses the technical skills and knowledge required to perform essential tasks in an efficient and effective manner. Demonstrates the willingness and ability to train or coach others in the technical arena. This is quite different than those individuals who lack technical skills or knowledge and/or have failed to demonstrate a willingness and ability to train others to perform well in technical assignments.
Quality of Work - Has established a track record of producing work that is highly accurate, demonstrates attention to detail and reflects well on the organization. Is personally committed to high quality work and encourages others to have similar standards. This differs from those who cannot be relied upon to produce high quality work, pay little attention to detail, show little pride in a job well done and/or set a poor example for co-workers or direct reports.
Solving Problems - Takes a proactive approach to anticipating and preventing problems. When problems occur, defines those problems, investigates obstacles, gathers relevant information, decides whether solving the problem should be a group decision, generates and analyzes alternate solutions and arrives at a workable solution. This differs from those who are not proactive, typically get surprised when problems occur, attempt to solve problems without the right mix of people involved, push too quickly for solutions or generate solutions that are not viable.
Analytical Thinking - Breaks down problems and issues into sub-components and then assesses the costs, benefits and risks of various options prior to selecting a particular approach. This contrasts with the behavior of individuals who tend to attack problems without a thorough examination of all important components and ramifications; who fail to weigh the costs, benefits and risks associated with various alternatives; and/or who are unable to explain or justify their decisions in a logical and systematic fashion.
Bachelor degree in accounting or similar level of accounting background
- Technical experience a must
- 2 years experience accounting experience required
- Proficiency with Word, advance knowledge of Excel, Access and Lawson or similar ERP system preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be well organized, flexible, and detail-minded
- Must possess the initiative to learn new concepts
- Cooperative, collaborative work style – teamwork approach
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and self-motivated approach
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.