The Staff Accountant will be responsible for a wide range of administrative and analysis functions for Finance Dept on all of the Company general ledger. Work involves detailed duties in making journal entries, reconciling balance sheet accounts, and analyzing expenses by line item. Work is performed under the supervision of the Assistant Controller and requires the use of independent judgment, initiative and able to provide recommendations. The position will require strong analytical ability in developing expense operating budgets, preparing variance analysis, and data mining company expenditures to identify cost saving opportunities.
You will handle a variety of situations and be responsible for confidential and time sensitive materials. You will solve problems and make decisions within general parameters. Your experience and mature judgment will be essential in planning and accomplishing goals as will your ability to multitask and prioritize with minimal supervision.
May direct and lead the work of others, requiring the ability to guide others and provide direction. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks with limited supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Must demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to effectively train others.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
Denotes "essential functions" in accordance with the guidelines of The Americans with Disabilities Act. The essential functions of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to, those specifically identified in this description. The position and its essential functions may change over time and these changes may not necessarily be reflected in the position description. The Company may, at its sole discretion, add to, change, or expand the essential or marginal functions of the position.
- Prepare and analyze special and recurring reports by gathering data from various sources and compile the data into meaningful management information;
- Assist and coordinate with other team-members to ensure policies and procedures are followed and provide recommendation within guidelines;
- Assist in daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly general ledger transactions and accounts payable functions such as balancing Cash accounts, Receivable accounts, Payable accounts, Suspense Accounts, and banking information, etc;
- Initiate projects to maintain/revise and improve workflows related to reconciliation and processing of accounts payable;
- Assist in data gathering at request from Management and Accountants of BHHC
- Assist in managing States’ Unclaimed Property Report and Remittance;
- Assist in reconciling balance sheet’s accounts;
- Assist Procurement with expense analyst for the business. Prepare actual versus expected variance analysis; identify cost savings opportunities and areas the Company can leverage its group buying power to obtain better terms in negotiating with vendors.
- Prepare spreadsheets and maintain databases to track certain disbursement, deposits, and outstanding items;
- Performs related work as required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Gathers and analyzes information skillfully and provide solutions in complex situations. Identify items requiring additional information or action.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Project Management - Work within company guidelines with regard to prospective vendor review, project coordination, communication of facilities activities to appropriate individuals, timeline management, and budget/expense proposal and approval procurement.
- Customer Service - Provide for quality customer service; appropriately respond and resolve complex situations/problems; responds promptly to customer needs, requests for service and assistance; solicits customer feedback to improve service and enhance existing procedures; responds in a timely manner; meets commitments.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibilities and takes accountability for actions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; recognize, initiate projects, prepare cost analysis and lead from implementation to conclusion; asks for and offers help when needed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as in a work office.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands for various projects and responsibilities. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability generally required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four year college or university. Minimum of two (2) years working in a general accounts payable is preferred.
- LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- MATH ABILITY: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures and methods of analyzing supplies and materials.
- TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of office operations, workflow analysis, and current technologies in telecommunications, data entry and file management. Knowledge of a variety of office, technical, and maintenance supplies and materials, the best sources, and appropriate prices for the procurement of such goods.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs.
- CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: none required