Will: Will be a member of the Business Administration Section (351) in the Mechanical Systems Engineering, Fabrication & Test Division and will report to the 351 Section Manager. Provide secretarial support to the Division Manager, Deputy Division Manager, Business Administration Section Manager, and Division Staff. Serve as a resource for all division personnel. Provide leadership and coaching to Section and Group Secretaries and ensure application of standard policies and procedures. Compose and edit a wide range of correspondence, presentation materials, proposals and reports. Serve as a Timekeeping SME. Process travel authorizations and reports; update PMG, maintain and update the division organization chart. Develop and maintain division office paper and electronic files utilizing DocuShare as appropriate. Screen and direct incoming mail and phone calls to appropriate personnel. Coordinate conference room scheduling. Coordinate meetings via UMS and manage complex calendars. Be responsible for coordinating and submitting foreign travel forecasts for the Division. Submit and track iProcurement and P-card orders and update WAMs. Submit facilities service requests. Other duties as assigned.
Responsible for providing office support to one or more individuals which involves: distributing information; receiving visitors; arranging travel, meetings, events and/or conferences; scheduling appointments; receiving, referring, or answering mail; setting up and maintaining files; answering and routing calls; creating letters, memos, presentations, spreadsheets and reports; and purchasing.
• Performs complex and unique job functions and activities across broad scope.
• Manages complex calendars, schedules meetings and appointments for senior management. Minimal supervision requiring no instructions on routine work or new assignments.
• Self-reviews routine and new work assignments for adequacy and accuracy. Others review work to ensure the established goals and objectives are met.
• Takes responsibility and ownership of own and team’s work.
• Actions, decisions and recommendations have a significant long-lasting positive impact on operations and goal attainment of own organization.
• Mentors and coaches less experienced personnel.
• Uses innovative and creative approaches to analyze and resolve complex and unique situations.
• Establishes and implements process improvements.
• Works on complex and unique assignments: resolves issues and makes decisions; keeps supervisor advised of complex and unique issues.
• Recommends which Laboratory policies, procedures, and practices are most appropriate for complex and uncommon issues that may arise.
• Applies judgment, professional concepts, and organizational goals to resolve complex and unique issues in creative and effective ways.
• Communicates to present analyzed and validated complex information, including the planning and preparation of the communications. Uses skill, tact, persuasion and/or negotiation to accomplish the objectives of the communication.
• Resolves complex and unique customer service issues.
• Continuous interaction with peers or Laboratory-wide functional partners.
• Continuous interaction with customers external to JPL.
• Frequently initiates interaction.
• Interacts with supervisor, manager and more senior employees as needed.
• Participates on and leads teams within and outside own organization; participates on cross functional teams.
• Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 10 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; or Bachelors degree with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; related required training.
• Extensive expertise in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills
• Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
• Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to perform activities and resolve unusual or nonstandard problems.
• Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
• Must have excellent typing, spelling, grammar, written and oral communication skills
• Ability to interact with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
• Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
• Advanced understanding of both general and detailed aspects of job and work techniques in the area of secretarial or administrative assistant; as well as practical applications to problems and situations ordinarily encountered.
• Advanced understanding of office procedures and personal computer applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and Visio).
• Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
• Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Timekeeping and calendaring
• Secretarial experience in a technical section office environment.
• Knowledge of P-Card, PMG, Data Extractor/Discoverer and Oracle Acquisition module.
• Experience in PC based tools such as MS Office, DocuShare, UMS, iProcurement and EBIS suite of tools.
• Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel regulations.
• Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
• Teaming skills and professionalism in interfacing with all levels of personnel within and across multiple organizations
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - 11 months ago