The staff assistant is responsible for answering telephone inquiries about the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies (GSCS) programs, greeting walk-in visitors, and enrolling participants in courses over the phone. This position assists with numerous administrative and financial duties including paying instructors.
HS Diploma or equivalent
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience working in an office setting.
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Other Skills Required
- Excellent communication skills including command of English language, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to be pleasant and positive when dealing with public, staff, instructors, and fellow Rice employees.
- Knowledge of spreadsheet, database, and word processing software.
Two years of college.
Customer service experience.
Other Skills Preferred
- Strong organizational skills, good judgement, maturity, and ability to work on multiple tasks and a variety of projects and situations simultaneously. Familiar with Microsoft products and multiple line phone systems.
- Ability to be a team player and ability to work independently.
Several hours at desk answering phone calls and working on the computer (up to four hours each day).
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
$12.70 - $16.45
Eligible for Overtime
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
Rice University - 8 months ago
You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League of...