Great opportunity with a major client in Newark, DE. This is a contract position that is to last through the end of the year. Daytime hours Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm.|
- safely conduct multi-step synthetic organic reactions under the guidance of a Ph.D. chemist.
- set-up of reaction apparatus
- Responsibilities include addition of reagents and solvents, monitoring reactions, work-up, separation, purification (recrystallization, distillation, chromatography, etc.) and analysis (NMR, IR, melting-point, etc.).
- oversee the maintenance/ organization of the lab
- notebook record keeping and computer database searching
- A solid understanding of safe operation and safe practices in a chemical synthesis laboratory is essential.
- Individuals applying for this position should have strong observational skills and the ability to communicate these observations in both written and verbal forms. Previous exposure to college-level organic chemistry courses that included laboratory experience is essential.
• BA or BS or MS in Chemistry.
• Specifically, should have had formal course work in Organic Chemistry and therefore should have: knowledge of basic organic reactions (e.g., Grignard reaction, electrophilic aromatic substitution, etc.); an understanding of chemical nomenclature; the ability to perform fundamental chemical calculations (e.g., molecular weight calculations, stoichiometry calculations); a familiarity with fundamental chemical principles; a familiarity with analytical tools of the trade, especially NMR spectroscopy.
• Laboratory experience in, or analogous to, a college-level Organic Chemistry laboratory class is also required. This includes exposure to typical lab glass set-ups, distillation, recrystallization, liquid chromatography and thin-layer chromatography.
• Knowledge of the following software: Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office is required.
• Knowledge of ISIS Base/Draw, Reaxys (CrossFire), and SciFinder are desirable but not required.
• The applicant should have good observation skills and effective verbal and written communication skills which are necessary for this position. The applicant must be able to utilize knowledge acquired on the job to identify and solve related problems as they occur in the laboratory in a rapid and safe manner.
• The nature of the job is varied, and therefore the employee must be able to work well independently and one-to-one with their supervisor
CareerBuilder - 17 months ago
The Franklin Company was established in 1958 to help local, regional and Fortune 500 companies with professional and technical placements...