Earthjustice has an immediate need for a seasoned litigator to work on reducing dependence on coal-fired power and to promote clean energy in its stead. The attorney will be based preferably in one of our offices in New York, Philadelphia, or San Francisco. However, attorneys seeking to work remotely from other locations including Chicago will be considered. As this attorney will handle work around the country, the position may entail significant travel.
- Conduct factual investigations; develop legal theories; draft pleadings and briefs; and otherwise manage new and existing cases in state or federal courts and administrative tribunals.
- Supervise the work of more junior lawyers, interns, and litigation assistants, who are part of the litigation team.
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into far-reaching, high-impact litigation strategies.
- Law school graduate, who is admitted, or willing to apply for admission, to the state bar where they are located.
- Approximately 7-15 years of litigation experience, preferably in environmental law.
- Experience in administrative and pre-trial proceedings (e.g., regulatory comments, discovery, including document production and preparation of fact and expert witnesses, motion practice); evidentiary hearings; and appellate litigation.
- Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Passion for the environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
Salary: We offer a competitive salary, based on experience, and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an informal and collegial work environment with a casual dress code for the office.
Application Procedur e : Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position is open immediately. Please send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample from recent litigation, and names and contact information of three references by e-mail to: email@example.com . Subject line should read: Coal Staff Attorney Application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls.
Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, high-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Earthjustice - 16 months ago